Affordable seatpost for rebuild

RobWJL

Old School Hero
Since starting my project, one thing that has surprised me is what you can pay for these seemingly simple items.

What are the differences between a very basic and an excellent seatpost besides weight?

Can anyone recommend an affordable, unbranded seatpost that would be in keeping with a vintage frame and components?

Chain Reaction Cycles has a dirt cheap brand x seatpost in various sizes for 8 quid. Can't imagine you'll find much cheaper than that.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Sear ... rtBy=Price

SR Sakae stuff was really solid and still good value for money in most cases. It's very well made but doesn't have the sex appeal of campag so it's much more affordable.
The only problem is that some of the older models had a clamp system that I find fiddly to use (but then the same goes for Campag too).

Probably the main factors in price these days are the prestige of the brand, the size of the post and the condition.
Some people want an authentic build and are prepared to pay daft money for the right component. Rarer sizes like 25.4 and 27mm are more expensive. Posts also tend to get scratched up during installation and adjustment, so pristine examples are rarer.

Weight was the big factor in the old days, although as I mentioned, better manufacturers also gradually developed easier to use clamp systems.

Good luck,

Johnny

RobWJL":236rcnxl said:
Since starting my project, one thing that has surprised me is what you can pay for these seemingly simple items.

What are the differences between a very basic and an excellent seatpost besides weight?

Can anyone recommend an affordable, unbranded seatpost that would be in keeping with a vintage frame and components?

I've used this particular post on past bikes although they're hard to come by nowadays:

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/15057787 ... 80&ff14=65

Just shy of 12 quid to you, sir, and it's a well-made, no-frills item. It's on the long side however, so you may wish to get the junior hacksaw out....

David

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Look out for an unloved SR Laprade with a few scratches .............keeps it vintage but a lot cheaper than Campag / Shimano.

Shaun

eBay either Zoom, Kallo Uno or Raleigh seatpost and you should be able to pick one up for a tenner in all the old sizes. The Raleigh one is identical except it doesn't have the silly 'Zoom' or 'Uno' branding down the side, but is a few quid more. They are all 350-400mm long so either shove it all the way in or cut it down a bit :)

Back