New member orange c16r rock shox problem

Simm31

Dirt Disciple
Hello Guys,

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, this is my first post and I'm new here.

So here, goes. I have my original Orange C16-r in silver, I've had the bike since I was 19 and I'm 41 this year,

I've just started hacking back around the trails in thetford and Sunday I noticed that my original rock shox indy xc seized.

I've stripped them tonight and the yellow elastomers just crumbled out...

This is a one inch threaded headset version...

What are my options really don't want to be off the road this weekend.

I have the rock shox PDF user guide, but do not know if I can get then black tubes/sliders out of the outer legs...really to fully strip and rebuild.

What are my options for elastomers and where would I get such a thing?

Altering the headset to 1.1/8th steer and what else does this mean? Parts/costs...also I'm on v brakes not discs.

All advice warmly received.

Cheers

Simon

Try asking on here, see if someone has some spare elastomers knocking about in their garage?
Perhaps try suspensionforkparts.net? they probably have replacement elastomers but shipping could take a while.

As the headset on your frame is 1 inch you won't be able to swap the forks for others with a 1"1/8th steerer, they simply won't fit!!

Plenty of cheap-ish 1" forks available for sale on here or ebay I would imagine, if you can't find any with a threaded steerer then you could fit a new headset (Chainraction cycles were recently selling Cane Creek SC1 headsets for £5 dellivered recently), which would allow you to fit a fork with a threadless steerer, thus possibly giving you more choice. Oh, if you do that you'll need a new "ahead" style stem too, but again they can be had for under £10.

one alternative.... buy a cheap set of forks to cannibalise for parts? eg... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rock-Shox-Ind ... 2ec8898b56

$T2eC16hHJIYE9qUcQYTmBRtO!wz4vQ~~60_35.JPG

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hi simon.

A warm welcome to the site, good choice with the orange.

The guts of some forks are complicated and riddled with pitfalls if you don't have a full rebuild kit, as you tend to break things as you remove them, however careful you are. Also, the new parts+head scratching+stress= you not riding.

I would post a wanted thread in mtb section for something suitable. INDY s, XC and c would be ok, and you never know what may get offered your way, marzocchi, answer etc...

Just measure your steerer and state 1" and see how it goes. A longer (slightly) steerer is no issue but shorter may be a problem with threaded as it's all about the thread available for your headset.

Altering the headset isn't an option, assuming your headtube is 1", it doesn't get any smaller than 1". If it's 1.1/8" then you can shim down to 1" but not the other way.

good luck.

Ok, another option...I think...what about if I got some Pace Rc 35... As I think they allowed you to change the steere from 1.xx to what you need, so question,

Could I get pace rc 3x with a one inch treated steerer even if they are sold with a 1.1/8th thread less steerer...just looking at all options as not riding the bike is not an option as ridig would be the last resort,

Cheers

Rc35's are definitely an option - lot of them around and the innards are still available. And you can mix and match steerer tubes and fork crowns between 1 1/4 1 1/8 and 1".

Trouble is they still command good money - around £75-£100 depending on condition.

As long as you're willing to pay its probably your safest long term option as you could always get a spare set of elastomers and keep them safe somewhere dark and they'll probably good for 10 more years.

To sum up - rc35's great flexible option.

Alternatives - post an ad in the wanted section for a 1" threaded fork (measure your head tube for the length and add a bit). Also post your frame size as it helps people estimate the steerer length for you.

I reckon if you are not too fussy you'll get something for <£50.

I wouldn't bother going ahead/threadless - the choice at 1" isn't much greater to warrant changing stem and headset as well.

Unless of course you get the upgrade bug :) - then Retrobike is your oyster - just watch that wallet.

Thanks for all the feedback guys really, useful. I'm will to pay what it takes to get on the road...I did read that some guy put wooden dowls in his forks and then the little springs back on top...sounds nuts. Just need a cheap supply of foam rubber to hand fashion elastomers...MakerBot anyone?

Back