Armstrong 1953 Restored FIRST RIDE Page 7

Re: Armstrong 1953? Restoration Help/Advice/Abuse Please

Re colours, there are some things a pedaller must decide for himself! I think if it were me I would have red Tressorex cloth bar tape and the white ribbed cables that Terry's of Redditch used to make.

And champagne corks in the bar ends, you'll have earned it!

Lovely beastie, I was thinking how about Campag aluminium cables these seem to take a nice patina and some silver grey Benotto 'cello' tape for the bars? Both of these come up regularly on the bay. I have got some gran sport cable clips but they look a bit over the top for a non repainted frame but a bit of searching shoud find NOS Terry's Cable clips.
Good luck with this it's great to follow your work on a machine with family history.

Really nice bike mate. Get some tin foil on the rust spots, I can see from the pics it will come up a treat!

As for colour, it's your bike go with whatever is in your head and keeps you happy. It's your steed after all :)

Nice find. the rear mech is a 4-speed Cyclo Benelux, probably a Mk 7.

Thanks to all for comments, encouragement and advice. Keep them coming. Seat post is out of shape but I think is 27.2. Would that be right as I need to order a new one? Hard to measure but right near the top seems to be that.

Paintwork pretty bad and thin in parts. Hopefully once rebuilt won't be so noticeable. Will take some more pics of progress today.

Well i think ive gone as far as i want to/dare on the parts shown here. Any more working and they'll be back to bare metal and loose any age to them. (Well that's my excuse anyway ;) ) The frame pic is rather flattering to say the least. Top tube is the worst but no rust now just black metal and flaking paint. Will buff it up later, hopefully not taking off any more colour.

Have oiled BB via port and it has freed up and should be serviceable. The saddle has a small tear around a rivet. Not sure if this will be ok in use or get worse.

Wheels next. Still wondering about the saddle cleaning and seat post size.........

Attachments

• arm12web.jpg
    arm12web.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 865
  • arm13web.jpg
    arm13web.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 865
  • arm16web.jpg
    arm16web.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 865
  • arm11web.jpg
    arm11web.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 864
  • arm9webcrop.jpg
    arm9webcrop.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 864

Very nice! Can see the similarities with my Claud Butler now!

Are those Williams cranks? If you need cotter pins I can send you a link.

That frame is very nice, looking forward to seeing it when it's built back up.

Top work

As I say, photos flatter the frame. Wondering id the saddle is past it given this split around last rivet on right side. Would it get worse in use or will it be ok????????

Attachments

• saddleweb.jpg
    saddleweb.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 861

Tom D":158d5mf6 said:
Are those Williams cranks? If you need cotter pins I can send you a link.

Do i need something specific then or if I go to my LBS will i get some and file them just like back in the day? Please send link anyway if you think I need it.

The History Man":3eyiyn3f said:
As I say, photos flatter the frame. Wondering id the saddle is past it given this split around last rivet on right side. Would it get worse in use or will it be ok????????

I'd suggest getting in touch with "Furniture Clinic" - I had my old yellow turbo saddle transformed to something that looked like new for £65... They do deal with tears in sofa's, and car seats, so I'd have thought they'd be able to restore it.

My local branch was North Notts, and Maggie Walkers service was perfect. To see the results have a look at my build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=246483&start=52

Back