Worn chainring advice - Kona Lava Dome 1990

miked2714

Retro Newbie
I've owned this bike since new. Well not quite, I've always felt I was the first and only proper owner, but it was one of a batch used by a university expedition to cross the USA by bike, something I had no involvement in. So far as I know it achieved that. I've used it on and off for the last 22 years, and it's generally been looked after. I replaced the chain soon after buying it, in later years it's needed a new rear rim and tyre, brake cables, otherwise it's as-supplied.

BUT: mainly due to the aforementioned trip across the USA all those years ago, the front chainrings (labelled Sakae X1), particularly the middle ring, are now getting very very worn. Several teeth are particularly worn, I once thought this was a design feature, but now I'm not so sure. Now I'm using it for some commuting again, this is a bit of an issue. I can see that the middle and top rings are 110BCD. I have absolutely no idea where to go to seek replacements. My technical knowledge of mountain biking ended in around 1993! Obviously the options are second hand (ebay?) or new, but I'd appreciate some advice as to the best course of action. I'd post a wanted note here, but I first ought to sort out what it is that I'm after! The chain is still OK, but I'd consider changing the entire drivetrain if an authentic replacement exists (I assume not as Suntour no longer exists).

Having looked through some old threads, I was thrilled to hear that my faithful old "splatter" bike might have some retro cachet, so I'm even more up for getting out on it as much as possible. Just need the right advice on parts!

Much appreciated
Mike

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I have skipped buying two chain rings for my chainset. Second hand Chainset in a decent condition that marries up with current bottom bracket makes more financial sense.

Basic things:

- Don't worry

- You have lots of options

I- t's pretty damn impressive what those bikes can take! Modern 3x10spds are much shorter lived.

Apologies for a rather late reply.

A BIG THANK YOU to everyone who posted such helpful comments.

I will try to fix things up as they are, maybe my chainrings are not so worn as I thought. First task is to un-bend the middle ring.

It's great to know there are some economical options if I do need to replace things.

Thanks again
Mike

One of the big advantages of modern 'compact' road chainsets is that they mostly use the same 110bcd as pre circa 1994 'non compact' mountain bike chainsets.
It means that nowadays there are plenty of good replacement chainrings available.

I've probably recommended Stronglight chainrings before, so I'll do it again.

Latest posts

Back