Reviving Mag 21s?

My_Teenage_Self

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Hey guys,

I'm (hopefully) about to pick up a set of Mag 21s. Current condition unknown, other than they are visually good, but haven't been used in a long time.

What can I expect from them, and what's the deal with seals (are they available anywhere?). I know I need to source a needle pump (I'll probably adapt a cheap shock pump)

Cheers Fellas, impart me with your wisdom!! :D

You should generally expect them to be good and working. The oil in them keeps them nice and ship shape (one large oil bath)
The main things to look for...
Air seals (in the top cap) may have torn.
Cracks around the brace bolt holes on the lower leg. They'll be on the inside part.
After that an oil change and setup to your weight can work wonders.

Main oil seal may go, only seen it once or twice (one being my own from new).
Bushings tend not to have gone oddly.
Some internals may get blocked up, seen this on mag20's when an o-ring perished/tore.

If they are stored upside down let them sit for a bit to let the oil return to its rightfull place
A few pumps up and down gets them going again ,but was told not to do this years ago by a sus tech

Good still usable forks ,in an old Skool way

Mike

Hmmm...

So, I bung the football adapter from my Topeak track pump into my shock pump. Perfect.

One leg is perfect, the other doesn't appear to be holding air... Any suggestions? :facepalm:

I'm also wondering if the previous owner has buggered the steerer thread, I never expected a threaded aluminium steerer?

You do not get threaded Alu Steerers and for a good reason. The inner part would not be correct for a stem either ? They're thick things the alu steerers.
That's a self made job.

I can fix the air seal, but it cost a bit (and mainly bloody postage!)

Get some pictures up.

FluffyChicken":1ex6968x said:
You do not get threaded Alu Steerers and for a good reason. The inner part would not be correct for a stem either ? They're thick things the alu steerers.
That's a self made job.

I can fix the air seal, but it cost a bit (and mainly bloody postage!)

Get some pictures up.

It's all a bit odd, Non? Very strangely, I honestly believe that it came from the factory this way, as;

1. The whole bike is factory standard

2. I've found a catalogue shot that it confirms it

3. The odd stem does indeed have a very slim er, shank?

But the top does indeed look cut by hacksaw?

Hrrrrumph...

Well, it's a 1 & 1/8 XT headset, the forks and stem are factory standard, and it's got a threaded alloy steerer??

DSC01773.jpg

DSC01771.jpg

The stem has 22.2 dia stamped on it, which I think makes it a stem for 1" steerers?

My_Teenage_Self":6uqbqqe8 said:
The stem has 22.2 dia stamped on it, which I think makes it a stem for 1" steerers?

Yep, intended for a 1" ..... If nothing else, that is a creative solution that I've not seen before.

Back