Mountain Mayhem Aftermath Thread

Sounds like a top weekend was had with some awesome performances despite the course/venue managing to combine the least appealing parts of Eastnor while omitting the bits that made it so memorable. Thankfully my beer fuelled muttering on Friday evening were not heeded (did I really advise "go home now and save yourselves"?) although to be honest if they had been I'd have been concerned about the clarity of decision making of those who complied (and planning on how to use this obedience to my advantage in the future).

Makster's video is great, really reminiscent of 2005 when the going at Eastnor was so heavy I managed to wear the paint on the inside of my forks and chainstays back to bare metal despite running narrow tyres. Impressive choice by the organisers to move from a poorly draining clay rich soil venue to a poorly draining clay rich soil venue (especially when it's a longer drive for me - did they not take that into account).

Really looking forward to hearing more stories and seeing more photos - Lil G must have lots, surely.

Finally, is there a consolidated list of all the Retrobike Team and Solo results (particularly the latter as I don't know everyone's proper names)?

Great skills there Gus, who did you get to carry your clobber into the woods in the end :LOL:

Great write up Mark :cool:

I was second out and it took its toll on the Gulf Kona :( even though I had a very similar experience to Makster I had to clear the drive train and back wheel about 4 times on the lap, Just would not move to the royal clay mud and unearthed treasures including long pine cones :roll: Luckily for my sins and kids I did not video my lap as I too was effing and jeffing at many places. The closest I can come to explain the conditions on that 2nd lap were sticky toffee pudding but with the effect of a snowball that got bigger when rolled , I passed a few and there were casualties stricken on the wayside with broken mech hangers, wheels and a dislodged HT2 chainset (all modern of course)

My night lap was reassuringly enjoyable compared to the 1st , my boys stayed up late especially to shout me out of the arena , conditions were improved greatly and the Honk kong lights were great, The redbull section was very enjoyable !

Here are some of my pics that my family too, anyone else notice the missing start finish at the finish , and WTF does the bloke in the background behind my eldest look like scratching his arse in the smallest shorts and wellieboots :LOL:

Before the storm

Gulf before and after :roll:

Out for the last time

Last blast

Beauty beneath

Royal Mudness

Intruder in action

Must say that Andy in the intruder kitchen was true perfection, the steam of the rice and the sizzling of chicken was impressive, Shame I was going out on my night lap as it looked amazing :cool:

Top work on the picture linking, thank you!

Mr. Edwards, you came to mind last night as the only person I could think of with the suitable linguistic dexterity and clarity of mental imagery to fully share with the group the true state of my posterior.

Sadly I didn't have your email address to forward the photos for you to translate into a tactile, technicolour experience to share.

Think I am in the minority here on the hills! Really didn't mind them. There were only a couple not rideable, and was ok to get off and walk for a minute and gain a lot of height. Rest of the course was much more enjoyable as a ride than Eastnor which I always find a slogfest. Shirt steep hills much nicer!

Just a complete cock up not having course through camping. That was shit. Left the camp needing a bit if focus and fun that being involved always brought.

Main arena had shrunk too. Not that I ever buy much, but felt a bit 'last legs' as an event.

Well done on 6th place too. Good show!

Solo riding must have been a little dire. Lonely with no people for atmosphere.

Shame.

I didn't see any photographers out on the course when I was riding.

Bl**dy lightweights, 3.00am and they were all tucked up in bed (as any sensible person was, even Spencer).

Back