BENOTTO 5000/Profil

stringfellow1946

Senior Retro Guru
My latest rebuild a Benotto 5000 or Profil you choose.
I have already been told by some self appointed expert that the frame is the wrong colour & has been re-sprayed & that the decals are wrong. It looks original paint to me & this is exactly how I got the frame & forks.
The only thing that is interesting about this bike is the frame as it’s quite rare (or so I’ve been told) the rest of the equipment is the very very boring common as muck Campagnolo Record stuff. The frame tubes all seem to be profiled (flattened) & it has the Diamond Shaped Chain Stays, the Seat Stays are profiled as well as are the Top Tube, Down Tube & the Seat Tube. Also the fork blades have a very small amount of profiling.
It runs with internal gear wires which I have tried to show, & boy is that rear gear Cable Exit a pain in the arse to set up, I had to get the cable ends turned down on a lathe. I used a Cinellli Stem & Bars covered with Velox cloth tape.
I used Campagnolo Victory Crono rims as these sort of matched the Frame Colour & probably totally the wrong time period for the frame but hay ho I liked them
So with out getting to Anul about things, any information about this frame or help about how many were made & what if any Pro teams used them would be appreciated.

Photos here.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o3143hgnghn52zy/xv6JjSM5-V

Re: BENOTTO 5000/Profil Photos Part1

Individual bits look nice, what does it look like as whole? Any pics?

Re: BENOTTO 5000/Profil Photos Part1

stz7":ye0lbhns said:
Individual bits look nice, what does it look like as whole? Any pics?

Yea I took one but the dog got into the photo I will take another one later

Amazing bike. I have always been a big fan of vintage aero bikes (as supposed to modern aero bikes), particularly the ones with rare tubing sections.

All it need now is a pair of Benotto toe pedal straps, which I happen to have lying around ;)

Re:

Hi stringfellow1946, great bike and very similar to mine. Here is a picture of it in its glory days dated 1981 in the Milan Bike Show. Following is the pre restoration photo of the bike after ten years of storage in my basement. The restoration is coming along very well.

The bike I have sports Columbus AIR tubing and seat post. Very aero. It also has the same seat tube indent as yours. The forks on mine are one piece, sloping shoulders. Other than those things it is very similar. They used an 18k gold plating as the finish, top coated with a clear lacquer. I've stripped that off and the gold colour shines.

Do you have that Benotto expert's email? It would be great to find out more about this bike.

Cheers

Robert

Re: Re:

robertyyz":3r4jvynq said:
Hi stringfellow1946, great bike and very similar to mine. Here is a picture of it in its glory days dated 1981 in the Milan Bike Show. Following is the pre restoration photo of the bike after ten years of storage in my basement. The restoration is coming along very well.

The bike I have sports Columbus AIR tubing and seat post. Very aero. It also has the same seat tube indent as yours. The forks on mine are one piece, sloping shoulders. Other than those things it is very similar. They used an 18k gold plating as the finish, top coated with a clear lacquer. I've stripped that off and the gold colour shines.

Do you have that Benotto expert's email? It would be great to find out more about this bike.

Cheers

Robert

Unfortunately I no longer have it SORRY. I think he was on this forum, IIRC his user name was Benotto something?

Chris

Back