Armstrong 1953 Restored FIRST RIDE Page 7

Re: Armstrong 1953? Restoration Help/Advice/Abuse Please

Tyres: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111006366131? ... 1438.l2649

Cables: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110966638821? ... 1438.l2649

I think the grey would be ok. Not keen on back or white with the frame colour scheme. Can't find any 'gold' cables other than leery ones. Also looking for cable clips as the frame has none.

Off to strip it after breakfast and start cleaning. Any recommendations? Been reading about the tinfoil and water trick so will try that first once I've got the grime off wheels and frame. Have read that other parts could be left in a diesel bath to remove grime before polishing.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Presumably there's a tool to get this out? Standard size or do I need to measure anything?

Also presuming loose bearings so what size do I need to renew? Help!

Other than this came apart easily. F&f weigh 7lb saddle without stem weighs 1.5!

Is that a grease port top left or for oil in same way as my old lathe?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 797

Looks a fascinating bike and certainly quirky! :D

Why would you ride fixed in the winter, I can understand from a training point of veiw, same as we would go higher or lower geared and onto flat pedals when bmx racing. But why did clubs make you not have gears and a saddle bag for winter rides?

So do I use a punch or get a tool?

The Armstrong looks mostly original. I have a 1950's Coventry on the to-do list with the same Cyclo shifter but sadly nowt else period. I would take the time to clean all the parts and then perhaps source replacement but still period wheels.

As for the Brooks, leave it to soak in a bucket of soapy water for a few days until its soft. Dont let it dry just yet, spray loads of proper wax polish onto it making sure that it is well absorbed. Keep soaking it in the polish and then start buffing after a few days. It should start to go back to being leathery quite soon.

That is an oiler on the BB tube, not a grease nipple. If there is no play in the axle, I would start by bunging some light oil in, not sure what sort is preferred, maybe 3-in-1? You might find the bearings smooth out without disassembly.

If you must undertake the surgery, finding the correct tools would be best! You'll find the bearings have reference numbers or sizes on them and maybe a maker's name. Obtaining replacement bearings should be easy. See here for instance http://www.ransomeandmarles.co.uk/references.html

Will use the same oil as I use for coronet lathe bearings before each use. Hopefully I won't have to go further.
Was thinking of using the other set of QR alloy wheels I was given for time being as they run true and fit!

Brakes and crank cleaned and given a bit of polish. Paintwork on frame is pretty poor but I dont want to paint over it. could i just touch it up? Seat tube beyond use. Think it's 27.2 on the callipers. Amazed at the weight of seat and bracket. Will replace post and bracket. Not sure As to which way to go to 'feed' the saddle lots of info online but some very different methods.

Bought a period campagnolo gran sport rear mech for £19 with a view to fitting it
Any suggestions for cable colour before I decide? Also bar tape colour? Was thinking grey or white for cable. No idea for bars.........

The History Man":3p00j75k said:
Presumably there's a tool to get this out? Standard size or do I need to measure anything?

All you need to remove that cup is a bottom bracket spanner similar to the one Park makes. it is somewhat flexible so, as long as the pins fit in the holes, it will work with different models.

Attachments

• ptspa-1.jpg
    ptspa-1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 764

Thanks, will try oil frost but good to know.

Colours anybody?

Back