Mountain Mayhem Aftermath Thread

Cheers fore the petrol too sidewinder, would have been more use had pyro Tim not just lived up to his name on the BBQ!

Never done mayhem before but without repeating everything above I loved it. The boys in the SW team 'let' me start and I got to do laps in the pitch dark/dusk dawn etc etc.

Weather aside it was great. Quality banter, cracking team spirit and some lovely people. My only issue is that I always feel uncomfortable about calling people by a forum name, so those I met I have no idea who you are on here. Perhaps we should rattle up a list.

Highlights?
John's bendy BBQ
Mark's moaning about showers
Riding in the pitch black
James' captaincy - firm but fair
Nobby's first aid kit (thanks Nobby)
Tim's race diet
John's borrowed Raleigh with street tyres
The inspired graffiti on the intruder
Nick's offer of a morning cup of tea at 4am
The blokes from Hope who fixed my bike for the price of a brew
The Duck Wash
Etc etc i could go on...

See you all again soon. Good stuff

Rick
(Trickylad)

Russell":1il9lrn5 said:
:LOL:

That's brilliant Makster.

Next time someone starts a 'modern vs retro' thread, I'm just going to link to that video and ask them to make up their own mind....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoN1_S_j ... e=youtu.be

Yes a great video that takes me back to a crazy time when nearly all manufacturers fitted the latest group-sets from America whether they were suitable for British conditions or not.

This was around 1990 when virtually every new mountain bike came with RollerCam brakes that were which were intended to be an improvement over the earlier less powerful but far lighter cantilever designs. Worst of all where the chainstay mounted RollerCams. The fact that they clogged up so easily was crazy given the vagaries of British weather. As a result, angry and frustrated riders, like in the video, were commonplace, with some riders having to abandon rides completely, having no other option but to carry their bikes to the nearest road. I can remember occasions where group rides could be ruined by a single downpour.

All in all this looks like a great weekend! And I am sorely tempted to join in next year. :cool:

Well guy's I'm sorry I didn't make the race, glad I got a practice lap in though. I am however a new dad again with TWINS !!! :shock: :D Quite possibly our youngest members ? ;)

P6160799_zpsf19bfefb.jpg

1 day old !

showers were good and no waiting around like last year.
it was good to see the site standing up well with all the car´s etc.

it seemed to me wiggle let a little more trading go on this year?? sounds silly but it helps towards the hole package of an event..

the track needed to feel the love from spectators, with some work they could tweek that in im sure.
some of the climbs were just silly almost to the point of being boring.
im far from fit but lots of what seemed to me fitter riders were pushing too.

that first descent was my downfall, came off hard and felt it all the way round.
it would have been alot more fun in the dry.

i hurt my shoulder 7 weeks ago and after coming off 5 times (only twice that really hurt) i voted with my feet and came home early.

was nice to meet people.. im sorry for heading off early,just thought i was tempting fate.

Got back home about an hour ago after a few hours of post ride sleep at the venue, a long a meandering van loading session and long journey back with a few breaks to stretch my legs.

10 laps completed in my first year solo, all on my fully rigid, period correct, 1993 Univega Alpina Comp, complete with DX groupset and original amberwall Ritchey Z-Max tyres.

Tired but happy.

More to follow...

That was my first mayhem, Managed to do 6 laps solo after taking on Mathew71's entry at the last minute which given the conditions and my level of training I was pretty pleased with.

Good:

The RB set up, BBQ, spencers beer, meeting more people from the forum, see old friends, Heckling around the course (even those baying for Retro blood on the first decent :LOL:), banter with other riders on modern bikes. De-NOSing a pair of Porcupines, (could I sell them as 'nearly NOS' after a few laps of mayhem?!).

The Bad:

The course was OK, but my phone mapped it as 1600ft of climbing in 7 miles, and a large number of those were already steep and became un-ridable for most mortals once it rained was a shame.
No route through the camping area did make it a bit soulless at times - they could have easily laid it out differently.

The Ugly:

Dave in his one piece Proflex Lycra. As good as an incentive as you can have to try to stay ahead of him for as much of the course as possible!
Having the Formula win the judging competition (thanks for the mug John), but not having the heart to beat it up on that course :oops:

Thanks to Dave for the general encouragement through the weekend and for setting me up a small tent in the solo area to dump a few essentials.

Well done to all RB'ers at the event - anyone who took a old bike around that course deserves a medal - some great results too!

retroyetirigid":ic83ygbo said:
Well guy's I'm sorry I didn't make the race, glad I got a practice lap in though. I am however a new dad again with TWINS !!! :shock: :D Quite possibly our youngest members ? ;)

P6160799_zpsf19bfefb.jpg

1 day old !

Congratulations from another father of twins! The feeds, nappies, sleepless nights. Still the same and they're 18!

Back