STX RC rear derailleur - is this right?

1997BlackC5

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I recently purchased the above with a view to attaching it to my Parkpre, however when screwing the derailleur onto the rear drop out, it will only go on so far as the spring & C clip you see in the pictures stops it from fitting flush. Have I bought the wrong derailleur or is this derailleur broken in some way. I have never really noticed this kind of issue with any other derailleur's I have bought in the past?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Yes and that's quite a significant part to be missing too. They don't just fall off either, in fact they can be quite difficult to remove.
If that has been sold like that, then I would be looking for a full refund.

Both the guys above are right, it's missing the b-tension plate and screw. If you need another, I've got an STX RC mech just like that one for sale ;-)

Thanks guys, I completly missed that (feel a bit stupid now tbh) still I did buy it, sold as seen & it only cost me £3.71 so I wont be bothering with a refund, more hassel than its worth.

Reluctant":pinm2zkn said:
Both the guys above are right, it's missing the b-tension plate and screw. If you need another, I've got an STX RC mech just like that one for sale ;-)

Thankyou for the offer but I am thinking of going DX now to tie in with my Front mech & cantis.

Hmm, I have a dodgy stx (not rc) rear mech, I'm thinking if it has the same backplate and that can be fitted to yours (not something I'm familiar with at all) I could give you £3.71 plus post for yours...

Those backplates seem to be the same for that era, STX, STX-RC through to XT. I have just repaired an M739 with the plate from a broken STX mech, checked and its the same for STX-RC too

jaypee":1itlz6ub said:
Hmm, I have a dodgy stx (not rc) rear mech, I'm thinking if it has the same backplate and that can be fitted to yours (not something I'm familiar with at all) I could give you £3.71 plus post for yours...

Hmmmmm you might be onto sopmething there:)

legrandefromage":1itlz6ub said:
Those backplates seem to be the same for that era, STX, STX-RC through to XT. I have just repaired an M739 with the plate from a broken STX mech, checked and its the same for STX-RC too

I did try to swap out a back plate from another mech, but how did you manage to compress the spring with enough twist to get it into possition & then get the C clip back in!!!!!

Take the screw out and twist back with a long thin screwdriver. It makes the thumbs ache but it then gives you chance to pop the retaining clip back on with pliers

There is a thread on here somewhere that has a good method.

Back