Triathlon... Help!!

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
After a few pints of Dutch Courage I've just agreed to take part in my 1st Triathlon event..... it's this coming Saturday!! :shock:
Actually, it's not a full-tri, it's a 400m swim (in a pool :) ), 15k off-road cycle, and 3k trail run. I'm reasonably fit so I should be ok, bit late for last minute training now anyway :LOL:

Anyone got any top-tips for a novice?

One thing... after the swim in the pool I guess I'll just be jumping straight on my bike in wet shorts? I don't have the ghey little all-in-one sex-pest lycra suits the pro's wear, so what's the best compromise for swim/cycle??

You could get some cycling short style swimming trunks - like this http://www.johnlewis.com/speedo-monogra ... lack/Green

Way back when (last century) at the Banana Leisure race series, there was a guy who was 60 in the shade who would swim, toddle off to the changing rooms, dry off, have a cup of tea from a flask, put on cycling kit and head out on the bike. He was a legend.

Which race is it? Pool swim and and off-road cycle sounds awesome!

Good luck :)

Kestonian":1w1r0k9b said:
You could get some cycling short style swimming trunks - like this http://www.johnlewis.com/speedo-monogra ... lack/Green

Yeah I did my first triathlon recently and I wore some of those. They were ideal and dried out really quickly on the bike.

Out of 99 people I was 79th when I got out the pool and 6th when I got off the bike :LOL: (second fastest on the bike ;) ). I was 6th in the run too making me 6th overall. To be fair though it was just a fun beginners triathlon not some super serious one, I really enjoyed it though.

As for tips: talc in your socks if you intend on wearing them on the bike. Also as you're finishing your ride pick a low gear and spin for the last few hundred meters, apparently it prepares your legs for the run or something. Elastic laces on your running shoes too if you can get some in time.

Yes, the transition area from bike to run is a spectator hotspot as biking legs struggle to run, and turn to jelly!

Back