Mountain Mayhem Aftermath Thread

:LOL:

That's brilliant Makster.

Next time someone starts a 'modern vs retro' thread, I'm just going to link to that video and ask them to make up their own mind.

Anyone put together a lucid view of the new venue yet? I stayed away this year in protest at the change... was I right?

Russell":1owxc366 said:
I stayed away this year in protest at the change... was I right?

No. It was still a good weekend. The course had more fun sections than eastnor, but also had some daft climbs, that even the forces teams were complaining about having to push up!
With a tweak to the course, a return to track-side camping and getting OS to sponsor it again (I miss my shower-gel!) it could be an improvement.
If it stays the same however, I doubt I'll bother next year.

Wow, that ended up awesome. It would be too east to sit here and moan about what I didn't like about Gatcombe, but that is down to the organizers, not Retrobike, so i'll leave it there

Arrived friday lunch, set up camp just in time for the bar to open, then it all became a little hazy.....

The race itself was hard. A stupidly heavy rain shower 30 minutes after the start buggered things up no end. I was out second and the first decent was a little treacherous to say the least. Then came the the gloop (see Maksters vid). Memories of the plasticine woods at Eastnor came flooding back, but thankfully it was only really sticky for a short section, after that it was just slime. It was billed as a climbers course, but there weren't many I could have tackled even in the dry (Not many others could either).

After that, the mud dried up, and turned into a blu-tak type substance, that made it impossible to keep any momentum going. Everything was an effort, even some of the downhill sections. Massive respect to the solos.

However, thanks to the awesome entity that is Retrobike, I had the best time. Thanks to all especially John, Spence, Paul, Andy for the Chicken and the "facilities", and all the riders and hangers on.

Oh, and my teammates. We did well :)

Until next year.....

makster":1tt6x0mx said:
For those who couldn't make it, I think this piece of video I got on my gopro pretty much sums up the conditions :D
By the way....there's swearing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoN1_S_j ... e=youtu.be

Brilliant clip.. has us in stitches at the end when you were cracking up in disbelief :LOL:

It was great to see everyone (albeit rather briefly).. IMO the course was a bit pants.. waaay too muddy and waaay too much walking involved, but I guess the great British summer was responsible for that :(

Still, hope to make a full weekend of it next year :cool:

As others have said, needs to have the course through the campsite - it was a bit quiet out on the midnight lap.

Apologies to the rest of my team for the disappearing here and there, and big thanks to NeilM for organising us!

A few pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_3191_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_3191_edited-1.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 2,083
  • IMG_3190_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_3190_edited-1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 2,083
  • IMG_3180_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_3180_edited-1.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 2,083
  • IMG_3160_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_3160_edited-1.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 2,083
Nothing to add really; I did my first (and only) lap at 3.00am Sunday, and conditions were....interesting, lots of sticky mud and lots of pushing up hills.

I do have one picturesque memory of coming to the bottom of the looooong grassy climb, and seeing two rows of pretty white lights, rather like lanterns on a ski lift, climbing up either side of the slope as everyone slowly fought their way to the top.

I'd like to say (another) massive thank you to all the riders on the West Midlands team who really worked hard, and but for a few short handover delays, we would have got that 20th lap. That takes nothing from the effort each of the riders put in and I think we showed them other b'stards what a 'real' bike can do, none of them fancy twenty niniers for us.

Special awards go to: Darren for being so bl**dy cheerful, Rupe for being 'solid', Rupe's dog for being so cool, No1 son Jon for putting in our fastest laps (and for putting up with me), Charlie for just getting on with it at stupid o'clock in the morning, Ted and Mark for getting the job done at even stupider O'clock, Dave for being Adrian, Lee for being fast and totally laid back, and Spencer for being.... Spencer.

As for the West Mids solos..... I really do not know what to say. How you faced that course for 24 hours is beyond me and we are all lesser men in your presence. :shock:

What a blinding weekend, we WILL be back again next year. :twisted:

P.s. Nice to put faces to names, and Dan, you still owe me breakfast :evil:

P.p.s Love the T shirts, even Jon has been wearing his... and declared it COOL! :shock:

Well ,what can I say except "Thank you " to all the RB'ers at Gatcome for making my prodigal son return to the retrobike fold so pleasant ,Big thanks go to John for organising all the logistical side of things,the food and the forge like BBQ. Nobby for being Nobby,Andy for restoring the belief that all accountants are modest , BUT biggest thanks go to the beer supplier and Johns mum for the cake !!! it was nice to meet up with familiar faces ,and to meet new faces ,apologies for those I didnt know ,at my age it takes about a year to remember your names :) and finally heres to many more RB meetups. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back