1993 M Trax 400 rebuild

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello all, after lurking here once in a while, I've finally registered to this amazing site. Like many other forumers here (I assume), I got into mountain biking in my mid teens while still at secondary school, when free time was plentiful, and money was not abundant but could be spend on anything I wanted. So I saved up all xmas money and paper round tips plus a few months of pocket money to buy an entry level mtb from the previous year (1993).

That was a Raleigh M-Trax 400 Duo Tech (the same M-Trax as this http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 3#p1949873). Commerially pure titanium bonded with cro-mo, all painted in a glittery black colour (which sadly I never liked). The parts were an odd blend of diacomp, entry level shimano, and DX thumbshifters. At some point I replaced the thumbies with gripshifters, but I have no idea what happened to the former. I should try to find them in my mum's garage next time I am down there. I used this bike for essentially all my mountain biking on Dartmoor from 1994 to 1997, and put it through some serious 'resiliency testing'. In 1997 I reasoned it would be just as cheap to buy a new bike (which turned out to be a Diamond back Apex, 1996 model) than to replace the badly worn out drivetrain of the M-Trax. To this day I have the Apex with me, having ridden it on 4 continents (Africa, Europe, America, and East Asia).

The M-trax frame and forks, as well as Rockshocks Q21R (the magnesium looks corroded lates time I checked them :( ) are still down in Plymouth in my Mum's garage, having survived several attempts / offers to take it to the tip. I'm now pondering whether (and how) to restore it to former glory, as there is a very strong emotional bond with this bike, having been with me through the transition from boyhood to manhood, and having been an escape from the tumults of teenage home and school life, taking me to a place to clear my mind and think, chill, relieve stresses, etc.

Now, in my mid 30s, I have stopped hopping from country to country and I find myself in Portugal, a reasonable place to do some MTBing (better than Mexico with its bandits lying in wait just outside the city limits, and better than Korea which seemed to be all vertical mountains or wide, super flat flood plains. The Canaries was good, though.). I'm starting to get back into cycling again, have fixed the minor problems with the Apex workhorse, and have started reminiscing about my first real MTB, the M-Trax. Perhaps this is the beginning of a mid life crisis!

Getting to the point, I'd like to ask forumers here for advice on how to go about restoring my trusty old steed. I'd rather not spend too much money, and I'm not dead set on an authentic rebuild either, although it wouldn't be unwelcome. Any ideas welcome!

To be fair, most of the components on my M-Trax are completely wrecked or else are junk, like the overly heavy stem!, the non-matching cranks (one is 5mm longer than the other, due to an error by the bike shop who replaced a broken crank!), so it would be no big loss to replace them.

Re: Hello world. Thinking about rebuilding my old 1993 M-Tr

Welcome to the forum :D

You should have no trouble sourcing the bits you need to refurb your M-Trax in the for sale section. Since you are in Portugal the postage will be the main problem. Perhaps you can get bits (the smaller bits anyway) sent to your folks in Plymouth to hold onto until you have enough bits to fill the right sized box that gives the best postage value.

I never rode suspension forks BITD so my knowledge isn't great but if the Quadra's are knackered then there's probably no point trying to refurb them - I don't think they were that great to start with. Having said that if it's the Quadra's you want to fulfil your trip down memory lane then you should be able to pick up a decent working set pretty cheap.

Make up your mind what bits you want/need and stick an ad up in the wanted section, ask plenty of questions in the chat section, start a build thread with some pics and it'll come together quicker than you can imagine.

Restoring your M-Trax might seem like a pretty cheap mid-life crisis and you may feel you've done well to avoid spending thousands on a Harley or a Porsche but just wait until you've finished the Raleigh and then spot another bike you lusted over in your youth, and then another and another.......

Re: Hello world. Thinking about rebuilding my old 1993 M-Tr

Hey mate and welcome.

Very similar story to me in that I have a Raleigh Dyna-Tech (technically an M-Trax! as the frame was replaced after a couple of years) sitting in the UK and I'm in New Zealand, that I want to rebuild (and I'm from the West Country!!)

I'm pretty hamstrung here in New Zealand with the availability of parts and although closer to the UK, you may experience the same. raidan73's comments above are spot on and I must say the RB community are very good at sourcing parts for you and if they have the part(s) selling them at reasonable prices.

In terms of a rebuild... hard for me say, but with my Dyna-Tech I am considering going for a newer set up on an old frame. The frame is technically a '95, but I have already sourced a very good (and stupidily cheap) set of XT hubbed wheels (circa 2001), a pair of Judy SL's in near mint condition (again very cheap... like 20 quid cheap, again circa early 2000's I think), some NOS XTR dual shifters (yet again... silly cheap!!)... etc etc so you can see, in my example I'm going for a new/retro look as I want to be able to get the best parts I can for the best possible value.

However... I also have a full (used and cleaned up) XT M730 groupset that I could slap on it and take it back to 1991.. the year of it's birth....

Decisions decisions, oh the fun you will have when you get your frame.

Back