Retrobike Touring.

Re: Retro MTB Touring.

That Specialized is an absolute minter for touring - perfection I reckon for such a low price. Nice tyre choice too.

DSP, is that list for a round the world unsupported wilderness tour??? I'm surprised you even get that up any hills!! Coffee percolator?!??! ;-)

Rob Atkin":2i12wm9t said:
DSP, is that list for a round the world unsupported wilderness tour??? I'm surprised you even get that up any hills!! Coffee percolator?!??! ;-)
The little luxuries make all the difference. I wouldn't be without my inflatable pillow and a good cup of coffee when I'm out on the road.
It counteracts the times you spend squatting in lay-bys...

I dropped three lads off to do the Great Glen West to East a couple of weeks back. They started with a night wild camping, so I helped them set up camp in a spot I use before I left them to it. I could not believe how much crap they were carrying. One lad even had a folding spade! Only one had racks on his bike, the others had heavily laden rucksacks. One was riding a jump bike, I did offer him a loan of a 'proper' bike before we left but he wanted to do it on his favourite bike. I offered to take some of the excess(ive) gear back in the truck, but they were adamant they needed it all.

They had a blast though, and when I think back to my first forays out into the hills I understand why. We used to head out on three night weekend camps with a heavy canvas tent, weighty brass Primus, fishing gear, guitars, fiddles, mandolins, borrowed chunky old SLRs (my grandfather's Nikon F I still have in my case), a football, flippers and goggles for the scallops, collecting jars, full size bike tools, etc...

We were not obsessed with distance covered or speed, just having a great time, and being ready for anything.

That's what it's all about I suppose! If speed and distance are your goal, it can be less fun.

That's the whole point of this exercise really. I want to prove to all that it's not actually difficult or expensive to go out on a bike and camp for a night. You don't need a £300 tent, £100 sleeping bag, £80 panniers, £1500 bike etc etc.

I'm really starting to think that this may be my main distraction nowadays hehe.

So far my budget of £100 for kit has not been breached, I can see it going over £100 when I buy food and a few other bits and bob's but I have to take into account that I am doing this from the perspective of a non bike owner so I have included the price of a 2nd hand bike.

More soon..... keep an eye on this post as it's becoming very interesting hehe

I'm definitely in, and I think you're right about keeping the budget tight, otherwise you might as well go b&b. And where's the fun in that?

Talk about impromptu !!

So, I thought 'Sod it' I'm going to do it. I'm going to stick some gear on my bike and just go, sod everyone else, sod the plans, sod the risks.

Then my pal Nige told me that his diving weekend had been cancelled.

The game was on.

We set off from my place in Doncaster and followed the Trans Pennine Trail through Penistone to the Thurlmoor Caravan and camping Site at Carlecotes.

TPT: http://www.transpenninetrail.org.uk/

Thurlmoor Campsite: http://www.thurlmoor.co.uk/

Full route here: http://app.strava.com/activities/60474449

The ride along the TPT was very nice indeed. Not overly taxing but it did get a little tiresome near the end. This was partly due to the ride slowly gaining hight along it's length. The camping experience was also very enjoyable and at £3.00 per pitch you can't complain.

The chap that runs the site, Martin, was an all round good egg and was very helpful in pointing us towards the nearest watering hole.

As far as the kit is concerned, the bike ran perfectly as expected save for the trashy Tektro front cantilever brake. I'll be removing this abomination and it will be replaced with a suitable Shimano alternative. Bearing in mind that the Specialized Rockhopper cost me £40 and it's the 1988 model I'm astounded at it's performance. It soaked up the terrain and is none the worse for the weekend. It's been swilled off with water and had a good old spray of GT85, all good for the next outing.

Nigel used his modern Specialized Hardrock. No complaints from him, apart from the ones relating to my snoring and farting during the night, I'd had a chilli Beanfeast for tea followed by four pints of bitter, a Guiness and a Lagavoulin chaser.

The rest of the camping gear was good but the tent was a little lacking. The tent is 'Ok' and is as good as you would expect for a sub £30 item. It was waterproof, warm and had just enough space for me and all of my kit, the bike slept outside. Obviously. One thing I will say about the tent, which was a High Gear Soloista, is that it is a little lacking in strength. The material around the internal zipper split when zipping it up. The poles are also a little weak at the metal joints, my ham fisted companion managed to bend one of them whilst erecting the tent, eeeiiiuuww....I said 'Erecting'.

I'll not write off the tent completely however as it did the job fine as I mentioned above. It kept me dry in a night of pouring rain and stored my kit away from the elements. It's light as well, weighing in at approximately 1.5 Kilo's.

Just a note to all interested, I have so far not breached my £100 budget for going on a weekend camping / touring trip on a Retrobike and that includes the price of buying a bike to do it on !

Now, the pictures:

GEDC2602_zps3a2f3bcb.jpg

GEDC2606_zps4fc27984.jpg

GEDC2611_zps86c99cd7.jpg

GEDC2614_zps749394eb.jpg

GEDC2617_zpscf1d8556.jpg

GEDC2619_zpsfe53c4f3.jpg

GEDC2622_zpsd1d74131.jpg

GEDC2626_zps0db5ec00.jpg

GEDC2628_zpsebe77a35.jpg

GEDC2630_zpsac178814.jpg

GEDC2631_zps9e3e942b.jpg

GEDC2632_zpsad818fba.jpg

GEDC2635_zps91675717.jpg

GEDC2639_zpsc9d9bb8e.jpg

GEDC2644_zps55e53379.jpg

GEDC2645_zps8c5c1f9d.jpg

GEDC2646_zpsd702eb54.jpg

Looking forward to going touring Rich, just need a few bits then I am good to go, forgot to bid on those freeman panniers :oops:

will be riding my slmracing hybrid

Not quite modern but the frame was karma and built with a retro theme

Very inspiring stuff there, you've got another tight-fisted South Yorkshire person thinking now. Nice pics as well, was on the trail there this aft.

Back