Armstrong 1953 Restored FIRST RIDE Page 7

Re: Armstrong 1953? Help/Advice Requested Please

No markings on bars, Brooks saddle. What should i use to soften it up?

Was also given another chain ring with three squared bolt fixings

Attachments

• arm6comp.jpg
    arm6comp.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,769

very cool indeed, one of the aspects of finding an old bike that has sat for a long time are the little details like the Shell Oil key chain. The rear mech could be a Cyclo Benelux, I can see a CLO but cant make out the other letters

Where to start. :facepalm: Have photo documented so now I should carefully strip it? Everything soaking in WD40 at present. A bit daunting.

Was also given another complete raleigh but much later, a couple of pairs of wheels and two NOS chains still in their boxes.

The Raleigh will wait...........

Attachments

• chains.JPG
    chains.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 1,764
  • wheels comp2.JPG
    wheels comp2.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 1,763
  • wheels comp1.JPG
    wheels comp1.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 1,764
  • raleigh comp1.JPG
    raleigh comp1.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 1,764

i dont mean to put a dampner on things but you are never goingto fit that bike. after meeting you at the brewery ride and seeing your marin with a huge length of post sticking out you are going to struggle. and at a guess you are over 6ft tall , a 23 inch road frame would have given you a chance.you can still make it a nice bike ,but as a rider it is not going to happen

Re: Armstrong 1953? Restoration Help/Advice/Abuse Please

It is a 23 inch road bike :D So is the raleigh. forgot to put that in. Armstrong 26lb Raleigh 29lb as is

This will be a labour of love and will come out on high days and holidays for retro pootles perhaps? I think I should be able to squeeze on a 23inch/58ishcm with my short 32/33inch inside leg. (my body is disproportionately long for my 6ft3ins!)

Well that's the plan.

That's exactly the sort of thing I need to know though so thanks for your advice.

"And I mean that most sincerely folks."

The Armstrong looks pretty glorious, congratulations. A 50s machine clothed in parts it received early in it's life is a happy find.

It seems to have horizontal dropouts for derailleur gears but no cable guides or other braisings for them. The mech might be a Cyclo Benelux Mk7. I think it is.

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/cyclobenelux.html
http://www.disraeligears.co.uk

Getting them working is a challenge but achievable with perseverance.

The GB Coureur brakes are desirable. The steel stem is one I don't recognise, which might be a good thing. Are those handlebars original? The Maes type bend looks quite useful. The saddle looks in good nick!

I think flip-flop hubs were popular in the day. My 1951 Harden hub is the same.

Getting everything working and making it your size whilst keeping the original character is the trick in my opinion, but other opinions are available.

Apparently this was built up by my f in law on a frame he bought at Wheelers in Manchester. Will the rear mech be reliable or is there a better period alternative? Also was wondering about the top tube changer. Is that just personal preference? Not seen it before.

Thanks

It depends how you feel about the Campagnolo Gran Sport. It was the first parallelogram derailleur and is of the period.

Otherwise the Benelux is the obvious choice, especially as it is already on the bike. Birmingham frame, Birmingham gears.

That's really quite a nice frame for a non custom, I seem to recall having a very similar one when I first started club riding in the mid 60's. That is a Cyclo Benelux rear mech but not a vintage item I have any nostalgia for, a complete pain. Parallelogram gears were a very distinct improvement a Campag Gran Sport would be period correct.
It was common practice for club riders back then to only have one bike and ride fixed gear in the winter (54") refitting gears for the summer. I quite clearly being told not to turn up for a club run with gears in the winter. Mudguards, a saddlebag and a cape were also compulsory.

So, campagnolo gran sport if I can find one as it was mentioned that he found benelux a total pain!
Presumably I can run full length cables with frame clips?

Just discovered brakes have QR for cables to drop out wheels. Very innovative. Stem now free. Happy days.

Would this be ok minus guards as imho it would look better or should I aim to put them/something back on?

Back