removing overspray

bikenut2010

Senior Retro Guru
I'm looking at a frame that at some point has had a quick 'blow-over' with a rattle can, some areas have worn away to reveal the original factory metallic finish which i assume is pretty hard. So any suggestions as to removing the overspray without going through the original?

Hi bikenut2010, a lot will depend on how hard the rattle can paint is but I'd start with some 0000 grade steel wool dipped in a bit of oil. It won't be a quick job though.

Robbied196":3bsmdf35 said:
Hi bikenut2010, a lot will depend on how hard the rattle can paint is but I'd start with some 0000 grade steel wool dipped in a bit of oil. It won't be a quick job though.
thanks mate, am tempted to powder coat ( inexpensive ) but it has a nice chrome fork crown ( will be obliterated in sandblasting? ) and delicate lugs which always look too lumpy after powder coat... :?

Just out of curiosity whats the frame ? I guess with chemical stripping / bead blasting and masking, the chrome can be saved. Modern powder coating is a lot more delicate than a few years ago so the lug detail should be OK.

Shaun

bikenut2010":1o9gjlz0 said:
Robbied196":1o9gjlz0 said:
thanks mate, am tempted to powder coat ( inexpensive ) but it has a nice chrome fork crown ( will be obliterated in sandblasting? ) and delicate lugs which always look too lumpy after powder coat... :?

They should be able to mask the chrome with a self adhesive rubber to protect the chrome before sand blasting, otherwise there's a good chance it will damage the chrome. I guess powdercoating depends on the quality of the frame and value. I'm not a big fan myself especially if there's ornate lugs involved. I have seen some good powdercoating but the majority seem to look like they've been painted with thick gloop :)

Robbied196":pya2ohpu said:

Yeah - agree with that! If the rattle can paint is relatively soft and the surface it was sprayed onto wasn't prepared properly you might be able to shift it with T-Cut or similar. I know that Halfords do a tube of car paint colour restorer paste which is a little more abrasive than T-Cut which might do the job without knackering the finish below it.

With regard to powder-coating the frame, I had one done recently at a place in Comberton, Cambridgeshire and was very pleased with the results - the lugs were well defined and there were no ugly lumps visible. The same place also did the blasting for me. Ask about protecting the chrome - it shouldn't be a problem. Oh - also make sure that whoever coats it protects all the threads..

Cheers!

S1m0nR":2fjat2g9 said:
Robbied196":2fjat2g9 said:

Yeah - agree with that! If the rattle can paint is relatively soft and the surface it was sprayed onto wasn't prepared properly you might be able to shift it with T-Cut or similar. I know that Halfords do a tube of car paint colour restorer paste which is a little more abrasive than T-Cut which might do the job without knackering the finish below it.

With regard to powder-coating the frame, I had one done recently at a place in Comberton, Cambridgeshire and was very pleased with the results - the lugs were well defined and there were no ugly lumps visible. The same place also did the blasting for me. Ask about protecting the chrome - it shouldn't be a problem. Oh - also make sure that whoever coats it protects all the threads..

Cheers!

S1m0nR,
If you don't mind me asking,where in Comberton did you get your powdercoating done?
I've found a place in Soham, Cambs that does Powdercoating, but would like as many options a possible.
Cheers,

Richard :D
http://www.gklcoatings.com/products.htm

Hi Richard,

My mistake - not Comberton but Sawston.

I didn't realise that you were relatively local so me otherwise I'd have put the full info up in the first place!

The company is Powder Plus.

Unit 6B
London Road
Industrial Estate
Pampisford
Cambridge
CB22 3FX

darren AT powderplus DOT co DOT uk

Their building can be a little tricky to find (or at least I found it so) - it's here, marked with the green arrow. Basically pull into Sawston Park, almost immediately turn right to go past the front of unit 9A, then once you're through the gap in the hedge, turn left and follow the road to the end.

You're welcome to nip over and take a look at the frame that they coated for me - I'm based in Fulbourn, so not too far. I could take a look at your frame and give you my opinion too if you'd like, but it'll have to be after the 24th June as I'm off to Le Mans for the 24 hour race in about three hours!!!

Cheers for now...

S1m0nR":26gtfsvl said:
Hi Richard,

My mistake - not Comberton but Sawston.

I didn't realise that you were relatively local so me otherwise I'd have put the full info up in the first place!

The company is Powder Plus.

Unit 6B
London Road
Industrial Estate
Pampisford
Cambridge
CB22 3FX

darren AT powderplus DOT co DOT uk

Their building can be a little tricky to find (or at least I found it so) - it's here, marked with the green arrow. Basically pull into Sawston Park, almost immediately turn right to go past the front of unit 9A, then once you're through the gap in the hedge, turn left and follow the road to the end.

You're welcome to nip over and take a look at the frame that they coated for me - I'm based in Fulbourn, so not too far. I could take a look at your frame and give you my opinion too if you'd like, but it'll have to be after the 24th June as I'm off to Le Mans for the 24 hour race in about three hours!!!

Cheers for now...

Many thanks for your reply.
That's excellent as my inlaws live in Great Shelford :D so just down the road. I work in Cambridge so I might pop over when you return & have a look at your frame, that would be great.
Many thanks for the detailed info as to where the place is.
Enjoy Le Mans :D

Cheers & thanks

Richard

Back