20/21" 1993 Kona

ellbrandon

Retro Newbie
I'm after a 1993 Kona ( Lava - Explosif) in a gateish 20".

They are clearly the best year for Kona's, and after 20 years I have now finally overcome the pain of having a 93 Lava Dome, and then it's replacement a 93 Cinder Cone, both nicked within 3 months :cry: I feel I'm finally ready to get back on the horse.

I've been lurking on Retrobike for a few weeks, but after some high level negotiations with the Mrs I've now received clearance to go ahead ;) So anyone able to help? Frame or complete bike or anywhere in between....

Oh, and I've never learnt the trick of sizing Kona's by eye. I doubt it's big enough but can anyone tell me the size of this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kona-lava-dom ... 1092501660

Thanks,

Ell

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: 20" 1993 Kona

Welcome to the forum :D

As Canuck says, it looks like an 18". 93's were one of my favourites too, can't beat a nice fade paint job :cool: If you're a bit flexible how about al's 1992 Cinder Cone in a 21" here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=259522

or a shameless plug for my own 1990 Lava Dome also in a 21" here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=259668

The one you're after will come up on here if you just bide your time

Thanks for the welcome and the links.

Al's 92 Cinder Cone is a thing of beauty, but if I'm going to do this thing it really will have to be a 93 :) .

Thinking about it I'm 6"4' and may have added a couple of those inches since 93, so 21" may be the way to go.

I will cultivate a Jedi like patience......

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hard to say as the pics look squashed on my phone but it looks like a 19" to me.

I also play with the big sizes. The easiest way to spot them is look at Al's cinder cone head tube. Or click on the links for my lavadome and KK? The big frames are way bigger in the headtube to the point of being ugly.

A quick visual look between al's 92 and the 93 you posted from eBay will get your eye in for the difference. Good luck with your hunt.... Tip try and find one WITH forks. Trust me long, threaded, p2's to fit the head tubes are a pig to find!!

Thanks dablk, good advice, i'll keep my eye on those headtubes :) .

I can usually tell it's too small but mostly it's just wish full thinking on my part taking over. I find a 93' Kona and then kind of squint my eyes at the pic and think to myself, well they are saying it's 16" but that could be 20"...... :oops:

The search continues....

Your also getting mixed up.. 1993 onwards are measured to the very top of the seat tube. That 1993 on ebay is a 19. It's 16 to the middle of the tube as they have indicated.

A true 16 would have a tiny headtube ie.. The top tube and down tube would almost be welded to the same point.

If you click on the gallery at the top of the forum and navigate to manufacture archives you can get to the kona sale brochure that have all the sizes laid out.

Latest posts

Back