Knee friendly chainset for l'eroica

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I'm vain enough to want to run a double rather than a triple but sensible enough to realise I need lower gearing on the Tuscan hills, particularly the dirt road ones.

I have a modern alloy compact that will serve but wondering whether anyone has something a little more period, possibly a Stronglight?

Ed, you know very well that is against the spirit of the event, as it is not against the rules. I have seen a french guy going up monte sante marie with a bike where he needed to pedal backwards to engage a smaller ratio... now, man up and re-fit that 52x42... ;)
Next time I'll do the Eroica it'll have to be on a 3 speed Cambio Corsa... if I will ever be able to get one!

I thought that lower gears were allowed (even if considered a touch unmanly)?

My lowest gear last year was 42x23 and that certainly made it more of a struggle than necessary so this year will have at least a 28t but the climb to Montalcino is a brute (didn't have to tackle it last year but did so in 2010) so as I'm older and fatter I need all the help that I can get. Thinking further, I'm not sure that admitting to my mental cowardice in public only 3 months before the event is very wise.

Anyone help with a chainset otherwise it could be a long days walk......

Just cleaned it up, 36/48 Stronglight80 170mm comes if you want with nifty sealed bb which appears running v smoothly no rattles/ loose movement, no idea if is Stronglight both surfaces marked INA04 standard tapered axle approx 123mm long. Teeth you will see for yourself when I get pics up but I'd describe as pretty mild wear but v clearly not mint.

Will try and find out what bb is then suggest a price.

Can't match Deegs's price but I think you'll like my chainset all the same! Proper old-skool TA Specialities 36/48 - sorry I don't have the Stronglight anymore :)

Back