Wheel Dilema

yakboy

Manitou Fan
So,

I am building up a Nishiki Alien project, using a lot of parts that I have stashed from my original hardtail, (a 1992 Scott Superlite), which I still ride. Over the years as I upgraded parts I never threw anything away just put it in my bike spares box...anyway I digress.

I am sourcing wheels at the moment but already have an almost unused 1994 wheel. In 1994 I built up a bike for my then girlfriend (now wife of 16 years). One of the first places she took it was centre parcs on a girls weekend and she locked it outside the pool complex, you guessed it, by the back wheel only :roll: and lo and behold when she came out all that remained was her back wheel...anyway we were insured and she got a rather nice univega alpine 502 out of it (which is still ridden today). So the bike wheel which must have done all of 10 miles was put in the shed.
The hub is only a shimano parallax but it has a Mavic 217 rim and a Ritchey megabite zmax amberwall tyre and 7 speed cassette which as you can see prom the piccies still has the little hair thingies on...

Now my Alien is a pastiche so most of the parts will be of the same era but not all (headset, skewers etc) and it will be ridden. Should I try and source the same type of front wheel (I would probably want to go for a better hubs) or considering that the wheel and tyre are nearly NOS (well not quite but as near as)

I know I could sell the tyre and buy 2 charge splashbacks for the money (and I feel the tyre would probably be better an a bike that was not going to be used as much as mine)

Are Mavic 217's easy to come by at reasonable prices? or am I better selling the wheel and hopefully the funds will buy me a front and back wheel in reasonable condition?

9057986750_57d19dc239_b.jpg

9055759267_3ee8482e1c_b.jpg

9057975780_500376f64d_b.jpg

Personally I can't stand rims that don't match on my bikes (unless it's a temporary fix) so would definitely want a matching pair.

Why not try and post in the wanted section. State what you are looking for but also mention you would be willing to trade/PX your wheel against a matching pair to cover the bases. There's even a specific thread for trying to find a matching rim so stick a post in there too :D

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=241322

raidan73":1buxoqj5 said:
Personally I can't stand rims that don't match on my bikes (unless it's a temporary fix) so would definitely want a matching pair.

Raises hand... I too suffer from matching rim/wheel OCD....

To be honest a nice nick LX on silver 217 would be pretty easy to find and it wouldn't take too long either (possibly longer if you want one with 10 miles of use though)

Back