Fitting magura's

secret_squirrel

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Struggling to fit my first set of magura's.

How do you adjust the position of the elbows so they sit on the inner side of the forks?

The manual says they should move but mine don't appear to unless they are seized?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 323
I think mine had sort of intermeshing teeth, so you have to separate the two bit in order to rotate them.

It was a bit of a fiddle but I haven't had to touch them since.

If they're early a 13mm spanner will turn them. It looks like they are, so give it a go; doesn't take too much effort to get them to move.

Also, if you haven't read it already, take your tyre off while you're setting them up. Makes it 100 times easier, and you only have to do it once!!

You will need to seperate the elbows from the clamps. They are likely to stick like the proverbial. The best way I found was to insert the clamp bolt fairly fully then use Gas pliers or similar to compress the end of the bolt to the frame. The elbow will pop out. Coppergrease before re-fitting.

Those elbows are a taper fit inside the piston holder, as described the best way to loosen them is with a 13mm spanner, later versions had the interlocking teeth, which in my honest opinion never allowed a perfect setup. The later again Evo II mounting system is fantastic and easier to setup.

You can't see it from my pic but those have really tiny teeth/knurling on the elbow face as far as I can see, but nothing matching on the bracket.

secret_squirrel":14tgo3mu said:
You can't see it from my pic but those have really tiny teeth/knurling on the elbow face as far as I can see, but nothing matching on the bracket.

100% that's the taper style

The absolute best way to fit Maguras is to buy an EVO II fitting kit...

...'Tarty Bikes' do the complete setup for an bargain £9.99 :cool:

Back