Alpinestars front mech newbie question

riddim-track

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm sure you can all guess from the title what the question will be :roll:

I recently embarked on my first retro MTB build (91 Alpineallstars Cromega) have got it rolling now all except the front mech. I didn't really consider the front mech before I started but have realised I have no idea how to fit one as the mount is like nothing I've ever seen before. Any tips more than welcome.

Re: Alpineallstars front mech newbie question

You need to look for a 'band-on' or 'endless-band' front mech.

They have a bolt that goes through the slotted tab on the back of the seat tube behind the chainset.

Plenty advertised on here in the 'MTB for sale' section, may even have a spare myself....

I've never heard the term 'endless band' before and I always thought 'band on' was the same as 'clamp on', usually available in 28.6, 31.2 & 34.9mm. Are we talking about the same thing here?

$T2eC16R,!)0E9s37F0(!BR(yQV2jwg~~60_12.JPG

it looks like that, no band/clamp just a bolt with a shaped nut to allow you to adjust its position on the mounting plate on the seat tube

Cheers will have a browse for one now. I'll post in the wanted section but if anyone reading this has one for sale please get in touch.

Ah yes, that's what I love about this site, just found and paid for one already :cool:

Did you get one specifically for an Alpinestars?

The reason I ask is (ideally) you need a crescent shaped nut to bolt it to; the round Allen bolt you see in the photo above goes through the slotted tab (which has a curved profile) and bolts into the crescent shaped nut (which in turn fits into the curve of the mount/tab)...

...though you can get away with a standard nut and washer if you have to.

Ah... no. The one I bought was not described as being from an alpinestars frame, we'll see when it arrives, might still get creative with a file and nut

Latest posts

Back