presta or shrader valves in the 1990s?

chillibiker

Retro Guru
Hello I am in the finishing stage of restoring a proflex 978 and was wondering what was more commonly used in the 1990's presta or shrader? Thanks for any input

The simple answer is both, presta were more common on the more expensive bikes and Shrader on the less expensive. Also narrow rims that were popular worked better with presta

BTW welcome to RetroBike

product-enlarged.jpg

WOODS VALVE!

( Sorry, I thought you wrote " 1890s. " My monocle slipped. )

Agency_Scum":13w7czwv said:
product-enlarged.jpg

WOODS VALVE!

( Sorry, I thought you wrote " 1890s. " My monocle slipped. )

:LOL:

Depends if you want to ride home after a flat
Prestas on a damp hillside are a pita
Schraders aren't

Schraeder. Simpler, more reliable, capable of managing the same high pressures as Presta. After all, if Presta is so awesome then cars, aircraft etc would all use it.

You won't find many, if any, Presta equipped MTB s from the 90s.

shogun":kydiftph said:
Presta, no high end tubes in Schrader.

Rubbish, most high end tubes were available in Schrader. I have a set of Air Bs in Shrader.

I saw far more Shrader valves in the 90s.

I would say Schrader was certainly the most popular. Vague memories of the Presta rims from Mavic drilled for
Schrader on the outer diameter and Presta on the inner diameter. I always drilled them for Schrader
and I hate the newer high end rims with Presta; never had a Schrader fail, only Presta.

According to this it's about 50-50 though
http://www.bikepro.com/products/rims/rimtables.shtml

I don't think I've owned a bike with wheels bigger than 24" which has had schrader valves.

I don't see why it would be a problem in the field either if your spares/repair kit and pump were correct.

Back