BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I might be talking rubbish but that doesn't look like brazing around the headtube joints, more like the heavy welds you see on very cheap frames. Not saying it's not an Orbit but not necessarily 531 tubing.

If I'm wrong please be gentle, I'm not a Reynolds tubing or welding/brazing guru....

weeman_mtb":3iql6fjb said:
I might be talking rubbish but that doesn't look like brazing around the headtube joints, more like the heavy welds you see on very cheap frames. Not saying it's not an Orbit but not necessarily 531 tubing.

If I'm wrong please be gentle, I'm not a Reynolds tubing or welding/brazing guru....

You're right, it looks just like the welding on the Raleigh Cyclone sitting in my garden, but surely can't be?! Some frame builders did use small fillets, but it's a bit difficult to tell from the pics. I think 531 would lose a lot of its strength if welded.

Interesting to note a different frame design to the Orbits on here, I would have expected something of that age to be lugged. Too far away for me, and too big luckily.

EDIT: Having looked at it again, I'm pretty sure its welded.

Drawn to this but not seen an orbit like this before, the back end is very distinctive does this give a clue to a different identity?

bhill22":bowwp0lc said:
Drawn to this but not seen an orbit like this before, the back end is very distinctive does this give a clue to a different identity?

Wasn't the one for sale recently on preloved.co.uk similar to this?

andyz":rq2oj65a said:
bhill22":rq2oj65a said:

Wasn't the one for sale recently on preloved.co.uk similar to this?

I'm pretty sure it was too.

Yes, it was the same shaped frame, but it was in Gloucester.

History Man was all lined up to buy it, then the seller decided to increase the price.... opps, bad move :facepalm:

Back