Airborne 2000 Lucky Strike DB Rebuild

The fork bung is just a generic protection cap, building a car I save all the ones I get. I guess forks vary somewhat on the ID depending on manufacturer / strength / material etc. If you have a look on moss plastic parts website you will find quite a range :D

WD :D

Shock horror, it's going to get finished soon ... :shock: :LOL:

The motivation ? Dad's got a modern MTB, sisters other half has just bought a Kona blast, I have just fitted some Reba's to my brothers bike ... They are all going out riding and I am missing out !

I decided I needed some better rubber with the riding they are doing so I picked up a pair of ralphs and a pair of freds off here.

The plan was a ralph on the front and a fred on the rear. If the fred was crap, I would put the second ralph on the rear and keep the fred's, maybe for the bear valley ...

If anyones got stained logos / oils splattered walls etc - standard APC cleans them up really well :

I spent ages pulling off all the moulding knobs and then blacking the walls, they came up really good :

I fitted both ralph's at weekend (tubeless) but then disaster !

What I thought was a scuff turned out to leak air very quickly :(

Anyhow, the seller has been really good and its being returned for a full refund :cool:

I now have some 2.2 X Kings on the way to handle the general off road duties :D Tyres get expensive quite quickly ... :( :LOL:

Fitted :

DSC08315_zpsb2671014.jpg

And aligned with the valves ... :oops: :LOL:

I have never had Continental or Schwalbe tyres before - not sure if it's just differences in the models I have, but I have to say the Continentals just seem 'nicer' and maybe better quality ? Even the logos on one side compared to the other line up ... :LOL: I don't know if that's just my opinion though or if it's typical of other people's to ?

Dura Ace, King Ti, Control Tech Ti :

DSC08318_zpscd603f82.jpg

DSC08319_zpsa8f27db4.jpg

Anyone know a torque setting for M5 bolt on skewers ? The instructions don't mention anything and I would guess they have quite a narrow window of being to loose or rounding off ? :-(

Another bit done ... :D

I needed a seatpost shim, wanted a USE one (long) and wanted it to be plastic.

I needed a 25.0 to 27.2 but USE's offering in that size was ally ... :(

25.0 to 27.2 = 1.1 wall thickness.

USE do a plastic shim in 27.2 to 29.4 = 1.1. wall thickness ... :D

I sanded the slot wider so it would clamp down without binding :

And then sanded the top down just to make it fit a bit neater. Clamped in the closed position so I could get a smooth / level edge :

Fits great, blends in well and will almost be hidden under / behind the post clamp :

The gaps about 1mm - before clamping up :

The post is a nice tight, but smooth fit - it easily holds in position without any clamp and with zero play :D

Back