Ti Post In A Ti Frame ?

jimo746":1tw3apdy said:
Ally suffers from galling more.
Ti is prone to a chemical reaction with dissimilar metals which can result in the two parts literally "weld" themselves together, not good when you're talking about an expensive Ti frame & components.
Plenty of suitable lube/anti-seize and perhaps more regular maintainance and all should be well.

I've not had a Ti frame before, but have had Ti components/bolts etc and after using "Ti-Prep" or Copper grease have never had any issues.

's what I heard and also that the copper in copper grease can react with metals so a plain old vanila grease should better.

poweredbypies":11jbbdew said:
I always thought ti suffered from galling, but that could be where its actually moving against its self a lot.

it does, even overnight.
I temporarily fitted a BB to my Ti and left it. Next day i went to remove it to Ti prep all the parts only to find it didnt want to move. With the spanner flexing im beginning to wet myself and in the end mounted the remover in my big bench vice and turned the whole frame
It literally screamed its way out. :shock:

To this day i coat everything in very very liberally in Ti prep(not copaslip)

Thanks guys :D

Just weighing up my options :D

Ti frame is 27.2 and I have a Ti USE 25.0 post. To use the post I need a shim (I want plastic not ally) and I need to make some bits for the clamp and then get them anodised.

I had seen some cheap / nice looking Ti posts on eBay and I was weighing up my options - I still dont know what to do ... :LOL:

I have a Ti headset and bolts in the frame already but wasnt overly concerned about those - the headset is shocked out and the bolts can be removed / checked / cleaned often. A siezed seatpost is another story ...

Everything thats gone in the frame has been covered in Park anti sieze which isnt copper based, its some other silver coloured material ? You can see it on here :

Hopefully that will be OK ... I didnt know if it was the right thing to cover a seatpost in though ?

WD :D

Back