1970's Crescent 92320 aka "Banana"

beepbeep":2cm9ykyo said:
Nice to see another Crescent :D
I think we've had a similar journey, here's mine that I rescued from a charity store: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13601
It's been unused for a while, but recently I pumped the tyres up and have starting using it on my commute now the weather is good.
Ooh, that looks really really nice! Just out of curiosity: what is the serial number of your frame? It should be there under the bottom bracket shell.

Konsta":gcdsu3el said:
Ooh, that looks really really nice! Just out of curiosity: what is the serial number of your frame? It should be there under the bottom bracket shell.

Thanks!
I wish I knew the serial number myself - it must have been a stolen/recovered as the number has been removed :(
It'd be interesting to know the history of the bike (and even return it to the original owner). Probably happened a long time ago though, it looked like it had sat in a garage at least a decade when I bought it.
I wonder if it could have been a race bike too, the five cogs on the cassette are something like 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 - great range! :LOL:

Nice bike but I have to admit spent more time admiring the harbor, lovely spot.

I own a bike that could be best described as the Crescent's reclusive step child, the Monarch. I have seen only one like it in 30 years of ownership, although I understand it may be more common in Scandinavia. At any rate it was my only bike for many years, I used it as a commuter when in school at San Francisco State, I did short tours with my friend Jim, but mainly used it for general recreation.

It is now set up as an Olde Timey Scorcher fixed gear:

Attachments

• Monark Fixed Gear A.jpg
    Monark Fixed Gear A.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 788
  • Monark Fixed Gear B.jpg
    Monark Fixed Gear B.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 788
  • Monark Fixed Gear H.jpg
    Monark Fixed Gear H.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 788
From what I know about Crescents and Monarks the racing frames were basically identical. The complete bikes were somewhat differently equipped though. How would you date yours?

Admiring the harbour indeed...
When we took those photos a nearby boat house was on fire!
We didn't know it at the time but you can see the smoke in the upper right corner:
90df81.jpg

The fixed gear looks great.

This might be a stupid question but what is the finish on the frame? It looks awesome.

N

Nathan,

The finish is somewhat unique. I was removing the old paint with chemical stripper when I noticed that the half finished job was really nice so I applied a clear coat and called it good.

Konsta,

Mine is about the same year as yours, 1970ish, I have owned it since 1979 but not really sure of how it came to be in CA. I can look at a serial number later for comparison.

Steven

Looks stunning. I do love a bicycle built with zero black parts. also nice job on matching the chain with the grips, is it rust or paint?

Thanks! The chain is actually gold coloured. Like this.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest posts

Back