nice evening, so i built a snowflake.

zetecmk2

Senior Retro Guru
havn't built a snowflake for getting on for 20 years, so after a nice ride in the sun, i got home, and looked at a shyte wheel behind the shed...hmm.
i'm glad i used a crap wheel. i forgot about where the twist starts affecting the finished length of the spoke needed. took about 2 hrs, a couple of glasses of red, and some smokes.......but i'm quite happy with the results..considering!!
2013-06-14210039_zps0e49c064.jpg

this was a quando steel hub and rusty spokes......ok for the mrs!

Cool. I had a pint or two and cycled home for the first time in ages, just about ready to start cycling daily again after a long., long time.

Last night I repaired a compressor in the wee hours, had to give it a blast at 4am to check it, not too popular with the old trout! :)

Noisia":1xsigg2c said:
What are the advantages of the snowflake spoke configuration?

Looks cool/naff/non-conformist (delete as appropriate), structurally I can't see any real benefits.

My best maye had a snow flake front back in the day. He used to think it was the bee's knees. Cool wheel build though mate. :)

I seen to remember that some wheel builders tie and solder spokes where they cross to help prevent the spokes twisting and for increased wheel stiffness. Wonder if snowflake has the same effect?

petitpal":2moayhee said:
I seen to remember that some wheel builders tie and solder spokes where they cross to help prevent the spokes twisting and for increased wheel stiffness. Wonder if snowflake has the same effect?
i've never heard of this.

there is no benefit to snowflaking a wheel. it is pure asthetical. if anything, it has negatives. you need longer spokes (more weight), twisted spokes are less rigid ant when trueing, each spole tightened also pulls the paired spoke.straight rims only as you can't remove a bend like you can in a 3 cross lace.

with longer spokes, i would have got 3 twists in......oh well :LOL:

Back