Tyres less than 2.0 wide?

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Are there any tyres below 2.0 wide around these days?

I used to have some Geax Barro Mud 1.7, loved them. Do they still make the Conti cross country?

just after some ideas as with the advent of "all-mountain" and "free-ride" tyres these days seem to start at 2.1 as a minimum!!

I've recently bought a pair of Charge Splashbacks, in 26 X 1.8. Had a few people on here recommend them, and they've completely transformed the bike I put them on. Maybe not as light as is claimed, but 550g per tyre is pretty good. £25 a pair delivered from ebay sealed the deal. And they're not far off being amberwalls. What's not to like?

Regards

Marge

I've got Splashback 2.1's and its a generous 2.1 at that so the 1.8 will be about a 1.9 - 2 but well worth it. Light, grippy, look good and fantabulously cheap!

I had heard that the Splashbacks measured up a bit larger than stated, didn't realise they were available so cheap though!

Any other makes/models to look for?

Panaracer FireXCpro come in a genuine 1.8". Really good grippy tyres that work in all conditions I've found. I like a skinnier tyre as it takes less effort to get rolling :D

I would second the Panaracers, brilliant tyres but they do get a bit vulnerable to flints in the wet.
Wiggle had Geax El Gato cheap recently which look like a reasonable alternative, just fitted on the wife's bike.

I've got a pair of splashbacks 1.8" and they look superb IMO, took a pair of fire xcpro's off to put splashbacks on :LOL:

Both a cracking tire though.

Schwalbe make 1.8 to 2.1 in their tires. (Nobby nic for example)
Many reports Schwalbe measure up small as well.

As for the splashbacks, they have measured them at pretty much 1.8" including tread, to the person above measuring them quite a bit wider. Might depend on your setup or probably just the batch?

I would second the Panaracers, brilliant tyres but they do get a bit vulnerable to flints in the wet.

I've got a set of Panaracer Mach SS on one of my bikes I like the way they grip and roll but I'm about to give up on them because I reckon I've had about 10 punctures in a hundred or so miles. I got three in 15 miles the other day. :x

I'll persevere with them for a little longer, but when I replace them it'll be with Schwalbe tyres of some sort or another, I've got Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres on one bike and I've never had a puncture in those, although they are very heavy. On another bike I've got a set of Schwalbe Hurricanes, these are lighter than the Marathons, but not super light compared to some tyres and I have had the occasional puncture but not almost every ride, as seems to be the case with the Panaracers.

Back