Land Shark rescue 1988

Gorgeous. Quality builder; great tubing, great era. Nice find.

The Hampsten article has a good reminder of the 'save seconds on the climb and lose minutes on descents' Merckx quote. Let us know how this one rides.

Incidentally, the Sante group doesn't seem well loved, but check out the Disraeli gears site, whose owner gives it a very favourable write up.

Don't recognise the stem though(N for Nitto maybe?) Are there any markings at the quill end?

klasse":20ezy6fh said:
This bike resembles the one ridden by Andy Hampsten in '88 Giro d'Italia

Resembles yes but those bikes were made by Serrota.

Good find I would like to have one someday...

lewisfoto":1so7g695 said:
klasse":1so7g695 said:
This bike resembles the one ridden by Andy Hampsten in '88 Giro d'Italia

Resembles yes but those bikes were made by Serrota.

Good find I would like to have one someday...

Hampsten's bike was made by John Slawta of Land Shark, according to the article:

"...Hampsten's bike was actually a custom made rig crafted to his specifications by famed US builder John Slawta of Land Shark after a team-issued frame broke beneath him earlier that spring at Fleche-Wallone....I felt bad about not using a Serotta [the company that actually built the team 'Huffys'] and sticking with the team supplier," Hampsten told us. "It wasn't Serotta's fault. But I was in a period of my life when I didn't like crashing due to mystery bike failures, so I went with the sure ride I knew Land Shark would build for me." http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/his ... ro-ditalia

doctor-bond":a5ud3jmn said:
Gorgeous. Quality builder; great tubing, great era. Nice find.

The Hampsten article has a good reminder of the 'save seconds on the climb and lose minutes on descents' Merckx quote. Let us know how this one rides.

Incidentally, the Sante group doesn't seem well loved, but check out the Disraeli gears site, whose owner gives it a very favourable write up.

Don't recognise the stem though(N for Nitto maybe?) Are there any markings at the quill end?

thanks Doc, I will read Disraeli. I liked the action on the Sante shifters. Someone on the Bridgestone group pointed out that the "N" looks like the Nishiki logo. Will swap it for a Cinelli in my bin.

The Dura Ace 7400 bb is asymmetrical which doesn't really suit the Shim 600 cranks. may swap those up for some 7400 cranks (which I happen to have on hand)

Hampsten":1phlz092 said:
But I was in a period of my life when I didn't like crashing due to mystery bike failures ...

Nicely understated. I think I'm in that period too:have been for some time.

Back