Just curious children and censorship

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
As a kid I was never subject to it, although there was not a lot to see BBC 1 and 2 and ITV and videos but today there is so much that children can download. I don't personally have a filter set up on the computer and just keep a passing eye on what they are watching. I came across my 8 year old son watching something called Pewdiepie and was appalled at what I was hearing :shock: I don't speak like that I certainly don't want him listening to it. I do let him play some games on the Xbox that are a somewhat older than he is, he often plays with his older (13) sister or his much older (20) brother (when he's home from the Marines). I'm never quite sure if that's a good idea but it does not seam to have harmed my first born, other than he did join the Marines after playing Command and Conquer as a young lad. You can go too far the other way though, my oldest son's school friend was not allowed to watch Disney's Cinderella even as a teen as his mum thought it to violent :shock:

What's your thoughts

Alison

As my two stepsons were growing up we tried to restrict to a certain degree what they could and couldn't watch/play etc. Then they went around various friend's houses and did what they wanted anyway!

I think the fact that you care and make it clear to them that you have boundaries for what you want them to see should instil in them some sort of natural censorship of their own. It's tricky with peer pressure and the internet but I'm sure they will be able to draw their own conclusions about what is sensible and what isn't.

i've got all this to come....:roll:
but my angle is if you have an open relationship with your children - i.e. remain approachable about subjects that you are concerned about, you can educate them about it in a way that helps them build their own control over these things - which will hold far better value with them than just saying - 'no, because i say so' - but i'm guessing you aren't the latter.

i'd rather i know that my son watches something i deem too violent - and talk to him about it, than say 'absolutely not' and close off any channel for discussion about it - for me to then worry about what he may be watching behind my back.

having 'grown up' alongside the internet boom a little more than you may have done so Isaac (no dig about your age intended ;) - i am aware of the ease of access to all sorts of info and the lure/addictiveness of the discovery involved. i also know a lot about how one covers their tracks ;) and also preventative measures.

however, when it comes to technology, you can firewall as much as you like - there is always a way around it, but pulling the plug [literally] is the only surefire way of ensuring (at least in your own home) that they dont see what dark dodgy corners of the internet there be out there! :p unless you're talking smartphones, in which case, its that much harder to monitor/restrict - which is where the open relationship comes in.

I try to be as open with my children as possible, I also think it is important that they are able to discuss anything personal with me. When my oldest son was 8 he went to his friends house and on arrival back came home with a rather amusing book called Mum Laid an Egg by Babette Cole, where parents try to tell their children how they came to be having a baby in every way poss but the truth, then their children tell it how it is. My sister was totally disgusted by it, really angry, she did not believe that any child should be told anything at all. I go by my mums old adage If your old enough to ask the question, your old enough to know the answer.

Alison

I play bf3 and my wee nephews have a copy also. ages 12&14 ,probably had it since the youngest was about 11.
Anyway some quotes from that game which is very popular with kids/teens

1. "uh, i just spotted an enemy tank, he's a big f**ker, over"
2. "STAND BACK I'M GONNA F**K! EM UP!"
3. "SOMEBODY SHOOT THESE C***SUCKERS I'M GETTING F***ING PINNED DOWN!!"
4. "They're on me like flies on S**t Over here!!!"
5. "im getting f***ed up the a** over here need some f***ing help"
6. "get down! I'm gonna blow the s**t outta them!"
7. "I'm getting my s**t pushed in here"
8. "Look at that c***su**er with a machine gun"
9. "IM GETTING LIT THE F*CK UP!!"
10."Somebody kill these c**suckers!"
11."GRENADE MOTHERF***ERS"
12."Get your d***s in the ground! They have a machine gunner!"
13."Get your d***s in the ground, they have a helicopter".
14."Yeah, this thing is a piece of sh*t and needs repairs"
15."Ah yep..wait..uh..yeah, i'd like t confirm that there is ..uh..an enemy sniper in our AO. Keep your f**king heads down."
16."I'm gonna blow it like you Mama"
17."I spotted an enemy tank, he's a big f***er"
18. "Mmmmmm! Smells like bacon!"
19. "Watch this I'm gonna kill that b**ch"
20."theres an enemy big f***ing tank in the area"
21."GODDAMMIT IM PINNED DOWN I CANT ******* MOVE!!!"
22. "Look out, there's that ******* sniper."

There are a lot more and more coming as expansion packs are released.
Now you know why your kids play with the sound very low or off ;)

We_are_Stevo":3mecmfxz said:
...but they're not allowed to play British Bulldogs at school! :facepalm:

I only found out what it was yesterday, problem of being a girl, didn't seam too unsafe to me, I fell off the monkey climbing bars as a child, blinded for many hours, but still good fun, should we not accept these things happen and get on with it, I still have several pieces of concrete in my head all these years later, i'm fine, or am I? no, mad as a hatter's tea party but health and safety have gone tooooo far.

Alison

Isaac_AG":2bp3478k said:
We_are_Stevo":2bp3478k said:
...but they're not allowed to play British Bulldogs at school! :facepalm:

I only found out what it was yesterday, problem of being a girl, didn't seam too unsafe to me, I fell off the monkey climbing bars as a child, blinded for many hours, but still good fun, should we not accept these things happen and get on with it, I still have several pieces of concrete in my head all these years later, i'm fine, or am I? no, mad as a hatter's tea party but health and safety have gone tooooo far.

Alison

Nothing wrong with being a MadHatter; better than being the teapot! :LOL:

dyna-ti":2xchsszw said:
I play bf3 and my wee nephews have a copy also. ages 12&14 ,probably had it since the youngest was about 11.
Anyway some quotes from that game which is very popular with kids/teens

1. "uh, i just spotted an enemy tank, he's a big f**ker, over"
2. "STAND BACK I'M GONNA F**K! EM UP!"
3. "SOMEBODY SHOOT THESE C***SUCKERS I'M GETTING F***ING PINNED DOWN!!"
4. "They're on me like flies on S**t Over here!!!"
5. "im getting f***ed up the a** over here need some f***ing help"
6. "get down! I'm gonna blow the s**t outta them!"
7. "I'm getting my s**t pushed in here"
8. "Look at that c***su**er with a machine gun"
9. "IM GETTING LIT THE F*CK UP!!"
10."Somebody kill these c**suckers!"
11."GRENADE MOTHERF***ERS"
12."Get your d***s in the ground! They have a machine gunner!"
13."Get your d***s in the ground, they have a helicopter".
14."Yeah, this thing is a piece of sh*t and needs repairs"
15."Ah yep..wait..uh..yeah, i'd like t confirm that there is ..uh..an enemy sniper in our AO. Keep your f**king heads down."
16."I'm gonna blow it like you Mama"
17."I spotted an enemy tank, he's a big f***er"
18. "Mmmmmm! Smells like bacon!"
19. "Watch this I'm gonna kill that b**ch"
20."theres an enemy big f***ing tank in the area"
21."GODDAMMIT IM PINNED DOWN I CANT **** MOVE!!!"
22. "Look out, there's that **** sniper."

There are a lot more and more coming as expansion packs are released.
Now you know why your kids play with the sound very low or off ;)

Think that's bad? You should hear what the kids call each other over voice chat...

Back