Sturmey archer FM hub

mrgumby

rBotM Winner
Hi, ive set up a 3 speed AW hub before following the guidelines on sheldon brown, but this seems very different, I think need some guidance!

It is a four speed alloy FM hub off a Raleigh Lenton from 1955..

The toggle is a bit bent at the end...

...but should be ok I think?

Replacement on ebay is £30!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Bicyc ... 19ddb15270

Here is what sheldon says about the FM hub

http://sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer/fc.html

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of hub?

Any recommendation of a good cheap oil?

Thanks so much..

Matt

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
If the problem is the bent thread on the adjuster, just unclip the quick release end with the thread, take off the locking nut, place on a bit of wood with the bend upwards, and tap gently with a blunt instrument. You can judge how soft it is. This should give you time to get just the QR end.
From what I remember of doing these in the 1950's, they were very rarely or never lubricated. Even if the chosen oil was very costly the amount used is minimal. If you oil as Sheldon suggests you will have it running down the spokes in a while. Any light machine oil would do.
Keith
I'm trying to remember why I hated all Sturmey Archer gears, I always preferred all gears in direct drive and external.

I think this is the hub that also came with a built in dynamo, the long bar slides right through the hub and screws together in the centre. I've straighten them between two pieces of wood in a vice, that way the threads will be fine. The best cheap oil is 30W 4 stroke mower engine oil, a tub of that will last a lifetime! :)

Awesome thanks I've straightened out the indicator... It had a dynamo on the front wheel that I'm not gonna use any more, back wheel is just the geared hub,,

I think I need to replace the cable to get the length right. I reckon I lost my nerve a bit but I'm sure it'll be ok once I get stuck in..

Can you move either the pulley or the cable stop on the top tube?
I thought all the SA gears but the AW had a 2 part indicator in those days.
If you do take it apart the 2 trains of epicyclics have to be set so that the double planet wheels have the timing marks aligned.
Keith

Oh my god, I have it now... When I stripped everything I took the cable stop off and must've put it back in the wrong place which is why the cable is too long...
I feel like an idiot I didn't see that sooner, but thank god I have a way forward, been trying to figure that out for weeks/ burying my head in the sand..
Phew
Thank you

Back