Puncture Whilst Riding Fixed.

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
I have got the fixed off the turbo and back onto the road. The gear currently is 52 x 15 and I was going down hill at 30mph past where I have picked up a flat before and wondered, "What happens if the fron tyre goes down?"

So, can anyone advise? I'm giving serious consideration to going over to tubulars as I now know that a sudden loss of all the air leads to no drama at all.

Has it happened to anyone? Fixed only please single speed would be the same as for a geared bike.

Thanks.

It's no drama at all; just like getting a puncture on any other bike. I've had my fair share of punctures front and back, being one of those mugs who bought Michelin Pro 3 tyres. I also didn't see a particularly nasty pothole over the winter doing maybe 22-25mph and pinch-punctured both the front and rear in one go. It was a bit wibbly wobbly, but no real drama.

52-15? What are you like Chris Hoy or something? :D

Jonny69":9bhcetq6 said:
52-15? What are you like Chris Hoy or something? :D

I'll say! What a tough guy

Depends if you ride brakeless I suppose
With brakes it's easy...without brakes is something else
I used to have a few heart-stopping moments when I'd get a puncture while riding a brakeless track bike as a courier
Sometimes scary but, often thrilling

Tough? Ha! The bike was on rollers, ergo the high gear. Also, I tend to not use the big ring much so thought I would force the issue a bit.

Managed 21 miles in 1:05 ish. That is quicker than when I use gears! The uphill sections are bad though.

The bike has a front brake but no rear. Oh, how I wish it did!

Back