97 Zaskar content. full bling. machine tech, ti, king

lowntegra

Old School Hero
ok, as promised, here is my 97 zaskar build. thanks to root beer for the frame, it is mint!

album link:

http://s1061.photobucket.com/user/lownt ... amp;page=1

build:

1997 zaskar polished frame, 16"

fork: 1997 (98?) judy Sl, with 1st gen SID crown steerer. bolts right together, ive not seen anyone else put this combo together, but im sure somebody has... mountain speed springs inside.

stem: KORE elite red anodized, hinged face plate
bar: answer hyperlite silver
headset: cheap-o aheadset SP-2. (looking around for a proper King)
levers & brakes: machine tech zero flex vee's (love these things!)
grips: NOS GT black
shifters: LX, unsure of model number, removed gear indicators, i made a little carbon cover as you see in the pics
deraileurs: XTR M952 front & rear
seat: selle san marco manganese rails (looking for selle italia flite ti)
clamp: hope red ano
BB: american classic ti
crank: caramba sidewinder red ano
wheels: i have owned these since 1998 when i built them. they are glorious. these are still some of the lightest wheels available.
- chris king classics, 28 hole front & rear
- marwi blue titanium spokes, radial front, radial non drive & 3x drive rear.
-red DT nipples
-Mavic 517 citron yellow!

cassette: ultegra road 11-25(?)

still have to lose the bashring on the crank, looking for a suitable big ring, if anyone has one. also need some sweet pedals.

Nice! Current lowers of the Judy look like 95 or 96 to me. 97 and 98 looked different (black resp. bronze decals in the middle).

But maybe opt for a metallic / electric red fork, e.g. Marzocchi Bomber or Judy Race(beginning 2000) to eliminate the yellow.

This was my old Zaskar/Red project, forks are Judy FSX Carbon (made for Specialized).

large_Foto2.JPG

think youre right, its been so long since i got them new.. may have been 96, i dont know..

i could always strip them and give a custom respray?? maybe a anodized red look?

yes, i remember those FSX forks quite well, my boss had a pair on his S works, back in 96-98 era. they were the tits! he had to send them back for warranty replacement though - the cartridge leaked internally, and the oil then de-bonded the dropouts from the carbon tube. shame as they were really cool! specialized sent him a regular judy lower for a replacement. :/

you still have the post and stem in your picture, by chance?

Ooh get you with yer fancy XTR mechs!

Nice bike, well done I'd probably strip, polish and maybe relacquer those fork lowers

I reckon that would look the biz

yeah man! she's pretty sweet!

the cranks are caramba sidewinders, IIRC...

i may at some point switch up the decals for earlier versions, the super bright, neon yellow ones. of course, i would have to then change the components too ;)

thanks for the kind words everyone!

-bryan

Back