Alloy Polishing Kit

grogee

Retro Guru
I've just bagged this 'M Farrant Alloy Polishing Kit' off Ebay. It consists of two polishing wheels, a drill attachment, and two blocks of polishing compound.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281114085918? ... 1439.l2649

Going to have a go tonight, has anyone got any tips on how to mount my normal mains drill in the vice? Any polishing tips in general? Was going to have a go at my Deore LX cantilevers and possibly also my Sugino Mity 900 crank as well...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
If you have a bike stand with a good clamp and your drill is a shape that is conducive to a good, secure fit in the clamp with the ventilation slots clear, shove it in there!

Enjoy your shiny fun.. Pics of results are mandatory!

fun at fiftyish":dk9myjhs said:
I used my "workmate" the wooden jaws are relatively kind to the drill body and nice and long.
Mark.

Which I would have done too... if I hadn't busted the Workmate in a tightened-too-hard then broke plastic nut kind of way.

Going to use the bench vice with maybe a bit of cardboard or summat to protect the drill, I'll be sure to keep vent holes clear. Pics will follow if I don't break anything or anyone.

Make sure you wear goggles, otherwise you tend to get eyes full of polishing soap. I once polished a complete Suzuki Gsxr 1100 frame and engine covers. Took ages and I got completely covered in horrible, black, difficult to remove, polishing soap. :(
Also, don't rush it. Take your time and reap the results, its well worth the wait.

I use something akin to this.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metabo-Drill- ... 27d3ab0d2f
This one is pretty good in that its metal but mine even being plastic is just as effective. Plus it has the added feature of being adjustable for the angle and instead of screw holes has a simple butterfly clamp.
Ill see if i can find the exact thing :? Have to say it has seen tons of use and is really really handy

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Only one bit of advice really - don't use too much polishing compound. No more than 2 seconds applying it to the spinning mops. If you use too much then you just end up with black s*** stuck to the work piece, and as you move the mop, you don't polish - you just move the black stuff around.

edit: two bits of advice ! The second one - wrap a load of scrap cotton around the drill chuck and gaffer tape it on, after you've fitted the arbor. You WILL slip and catch the chuck on the frame.

paddy311":107x9wob said:
.....wrap a load of scrap cotton around the drill chuck and gaffer tape it on, after you've fitted the arbor. You WILL slip and catch the chuck on the frame.

Good advice!!

I have had to 'go back' a few steps and polish out these scrapes a few times :facepalm:

Cheers

Back