any retro love for the ford cortina?

Can't watch it cause I'm in the States but yes I did love that car. I had one before I could drive, well actually it belonged to my uncle and was parked at my grandmother's but that's a whole new tale. The darn thing didn't run so some buddies got to "fixin" it but really just mucked it up worse. None the less I played Stock Car Driver most afternoons in the car until the scrap man came for it because it was parked on the neighbor's property. My uncle never forgave me because he said it was my fault that it did not run, but that guy had so many broken cars I'm surprised he even noticed it was gone.

My old man had one of these. New, August 1st 1976. Loved it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 595
Bliley, the MkIII. Apparently they were unloved by by collectors, but prices went through the roof due to the Gene Hunt effect.

One of my earliest motoring memories was my auld feller MKII 1600E, the ST of its day. My own Cortina was a bit sheet really - my first car was 1750 Allegro which was much better to drive, but a reliability nightmare. After a year the Fortuna started to get a bit lacy so I splurged on a Rover SD 1 2600. Velour trim and electric front windows - i was like a dog with 2 danglies.

OK not a car, and not made in Dagenham, but my dad was given a brand new Ford Transit minibus in 1980 and I have had a deep affection for the sound of a transit van door shutting since then, I don't know what it is but it just reminds me of home and all the good things about childhood :D

Alison

Chopper1192":384kp6uw said:
Bliley, the MkIII. Apparently they were unloved by by collectors, but prices went through the roof due to the Gene Hunt effect.

One of my earliest motoring memories was my auld feller MKII 1600E, the ST of its day. My own Cortina was a bit sheet really - my first car was 1750 Allegro which was much better to drive, but a reliability nightmare. After a year the Fortuna started to get a bit lacy so I splurged on a Rover SD 1 2600. Velour trim and electric front windows - i was like a dog with 2 danglies.

Well he was a DI on the RCS!

Isaac_AG":1ie32i6y said:
OK not a car, and not made in Dagenham, but my dad was given a brand new Ford Transit minibus in 1980 and I have had a deep affection for the sound of a transit van door shutting since then, I don't know what it is but it just reminds me of home and all the good things about childhood :D

Alison

For me it's the smell of an old interior. My mum had a couple of 60s minis with the floor button starter. Dad's cars got changed every 3 years or so.

Ford cortinas are great, always liked the MkIII especially with the vinyl covered roofs. Mind you nearly got splattered by one aged about 8 when my caliper brakes failed as I shot out a side street on my Dawes King Pin 18. Thankfully driver was on the ball and the chromed bumpers did not splat me though he did call me very rude names :LOL:

Liked the MKIV also, felt roomier as a passenger than the Vauxhall Cavalier my parents drove.

My parents had a Mk2 estate. A horrid underpowered thing as we lived in Germany (BAOR) - it always seemed to struggle on the autobahns. I still remember the sickly smell of black plastic when the doors opened on a sunny day. We had a happy summer holiday in France with it trying to find exhaust parts - the car was completely different from the Taunus (Ford's continental equivalent). Still you always got a souvenir of a ride in that car - normally something would fall off which you could keep...

My dad hated it from day 1 and bought a Volvo 145 instead, which was finally scrapped after a quarter of a century's service.

Back