1986? Ross Mt Hood

I haven't had a chance to do anything to it other than soak the fasteners in liquid wrench, and loosen most of them. I just got a new 2x10 drivetrain for my full suspension bike yesterday, so this evening was spent on that.

I do plan to lose the rear rack; I just don't care for them although a lot of early MTBs had rack mounts, and a lot of riders put them to use.

All of my bikes have a dropper seatpost, bashguard, and bike computer. I already have a Hite Rite on hand, and just won a Rock Ring on ebay. Now I need an Avocet 20 computer (I stopped bidding on one a week or two ago not knowing that I'd buy another bike!). Doh!

That value for one with the mag wheels from Japan converts to $2000 US. Ross was an American brand from Allentown, Pennsylvania so I'd bet that they are pretty rare in Japan. I do like the riser bar with the crossbar and the BMX stem on that one !

But I don't place a whole lot of faith in the high values that some try to sell on ebay. For instance, my first MTB was a Schwinn Paramount Series 20 ($600 new). Waterford built Paramount road bikes were very high end frames when new, and sell for a lot today. But the Paramount MTBs were Japanese made frames, not Waterford brazed beauties. They were decent MTBs made of butted CrMo, but they weren't anything really special. But some of the ebay listings price them like they were US made Waterford ones, and may even embellish the truth a little in the descriptions.

Oddly enough, there was ANOTHER Ross on Craigslist with canti brakes today. :shock: I don't think that I ever saw one before the one I bought!

I got it all torn down yesterday, except for removing the freewheel, which I need to get the tool for. Yes, I even got the fixed (drive side) cup out! :cool:

A few surprises; the handlebar and stem are both painted with a thick black paint or enamel. And both seem to be made from lead! But all of that weight didn't stop the bar from bending! The right side is definitely bent; its noticeable lower than the left. :(

Now I need to read a few threads on polishing chrome...

I'm glad that people like it.

I used the aluminum foil method to polish the fork. It worked really well! There are a few deep scratches through the chrome, but it looks pretty darn good to me! Will post a pic or two when I get a chance.

Now I gotta look into getting some decals/stickers made...

Sorry for the bad photos, but hopefully you can see what a few minutes with aluminum foil and water achieved on my chrome fork.

Before vvv
DSCN1383_zps53853a16.jpg

After vvv
DSCN1389_zps2984db4d.jpg

Re: 1986 Ross Mt. Hood bike & it's in primo condition, $175

Howdy,

I've just cleaned up my 1986 Ross Mt. Hood bike & it's in primo condition, of which $175 for the cool retro chrome moly tubing mountain bike. I live in Austin, TX. & I'll post photo's soon, if you'd be interested, post me.

Back