And today I did......

Hi all :D
First off Velo -
Paint is the way i see that now, especially given powder would soften those nice lugs and thats the last thing i want. A myriad of forgotten names doesnt mean much V,We're got 100's that have disappeared and looking at them i can see why. Theres more to it than just the name,and nice to have something that has a good reputation :D

At the moment my old college is doing its end of year show and as im going to it i will take the opportunity to talk to my old finishing lecturer,im quite sure he'll be able to suggest one of his previous students to do the paintwork without costing the earth ;) Ive a mate who is a signwriter and im going to ask him to reproduce the lettering(ill photo everything before stripping it.
Off the top of my head i was thinking either orange or red for the main tubes, the head tube and seat tubes being white. totally undecided about the coach line around the lugs. not sure if i should match the main colour or look else where :?
Halfords Rob ? Are you implying i'd do this myself with a rattlecan ? and have their mechanics build it for me no doubt ?
Shame on you for suggesting such a thing :shock: Last friggin waterproof jacket you're getting a loan of.

K. Ive also got a nice chrome Sun sitting in the bikestation, its totally bare and i need forks for it. About my size and tbh its that reason its sat there and done nothing with it since getting it. The fs is a gate :D the 25" im guessing is the biggest they made and im right in the middle of the size chart so im happier building the fs than the sun.

MrP, I think you did well not bidding. Although im excited i did notice a lot of rust on the top tube but it wasnt highlighted by the seller who was keen to point out the other parts. Also he was asked the frame number but he chose not to answer that.
I've little doubt its a real flying scot but im sure theres something lurking :? Rust might be bad but ill give it a good look over when it arrives. The seller is paisley way but has offered to drive it over to my house tomorrow, which saves a lot of hassle. I only hope its worth all the trouble.

This type of project has to be top notch all the way. I probably will struggle to find all the parts in good condition without spending too much and the groupo with probably be Campagnolo. Theres a few bits in the BS at present and it now looks like it will be me buying them :LOL: I wonder what the gearing would have been ? 5or 6 speed i reckon. Much research to be done over the rest of this year.

Ill sort a thread when it arrives. Gives people something to look at :D And ill do an ask and see if theres any others kicking about this forum.

today i done a lap from broxburn to newbridge to kirkliston to winchburgh and back to broxburn :cool: i also stopped into the bing for a wee look about.

ohhh my c.h.e. brakes arrived today :D

Had a wee bimble in Blairmidden tonight. They've clear-felled the area behind the top carpark either side of footpath from there up to the power-line that crosses road.
Ye can see Kelty fae the carpark noo. :roll:
The footpath has loads of branches laid across it in 2 places to protect it from the big machines. No problem walking over it then into single track running from bend in footpath down into mixed woods. The other tracks seem to be OK too. There's some wet bits again but no too bad.

big.eck":3osd3qcu said:
today i done a lap from broxburn to newbridge to kirkliston to winchburgh and back to broxburn :cool: i also stopped into the bing for a wee look about.

ohhh my c.h.e. brakes arrived today :D
Well hurry up and get it se tup :D we all want to see it.

Whats your first impressions Alex ? condition wise.

Well hurry up and get it se tup :D we all want to see it.

Whats your first impressions Alex ? condition wise.[/quote]

they look dusty tbh some tlc and they'll look good again :cool:

the levers are defo copies of hope ones but theres 3 different lever settings and they hold more fluid . calipers are 3 peice jobbies and the mounts are offset so i'll be needing spacers . discs are 180mm .

i'll do better pic's tomorrow

Dyna, for paintscheme inspiration look at the Mercian website, they have some software that allows you to play around with the look of a bike.

Well, despite shitty forecast it was actually a lovely day on the East Coast. Had a nice 24 mile ride on the 29er, back roads, estate tracks, country park and a nice return along the coastal cycle path. No ice cream van though which was a bit disappointing.
Spent an hour bar hopping when I got back, well swapping bars on the retro fleet. When I re-did the STS I was quite pleased to still have the original stem, bars and bar ends, it just looked right. However after last weekends Glentress trip, the limitations of such a narrow set up were all too obvious. Felt very cramped, even on the climbs, almost although I was steering via the stem. When I checked I had an effective bar width of 500mm! I did however have a set of late 90's monkey lite risers on the delta V, so I've swapped them over onto the STS. The Kore stem on it had a vey wide clamp which I remember being a bitch to get risers through, so I've fitted a generic split clamp stem I had spare. It's a wee bit short so I'll be on the look out for a 120mm Thomson elite to get the original length back. All this left the delta bar-less so I popped a set of 17deg sweep flat bars I took off my fat bike. I didn't like them on the pugsley as I felt it needed a wider OS bar to help muscle it about. The sweep looks decidedly odd, but being an old cannondale it kinda works. I'll try a few rides anyway and then see.
After that I was on a mission to track down the ominous creak on the STS, not something you want on a 16 year old plastic frame with a reputation for breaking. On Sundays ride I thought it was the gears, but after checking the cables and jockey clearance I ruled them out. Next I changed the pedals. My original 22 year old spd are finally dead. The wobble like mad and can't be adjusted as the plastic collars broke the last time I tried. Still a creak though so I checked the crank bolts. These took an 1/8th off a turn but still that damn creak! So off with the freshly tightened cranks bolts and onto the bottom bracket. It didn't take a lot but the drive side cup needed tightening. At last, no more creak! That'll disappoint Velo, who predicts the bikes imminent demise every time I bring it to a meet.

kaiser":l3d391xj said:
Cheers bud, but where there is ying there is yang. Out for a night ride tonight and took a corner just too neat, clipped the bars on the inside of the corner, flew across the trail and headed down a ravine into a tree which caught me! Scratched legs, sore wrist and worst of all shagged Garmin.

hope you are feeling better mate and real bummer about the garmin- you can claim the household insurance non?

Clubby typed:
That'll disappoint Velo, who predicts the bikes imminent demise every time I bring it to a meet

and everytime people say anything about their rep for breaking, you yourself clubby, wholeheartedly agree and are equally surprised your ones still working so dont lay it all on me :LOL:

Back