Decals on a bare aluminum frame?

mtnwkr

Retro Newbie
I have a 96 Kona Koa I'm building up from spare parts. The paint is in poor condition but the frame is solid. I love the look of bare aluminum frames but I want to have the frame decals on it. Has anyone applied decals to the bare aluminum after stripping the frame? Just wondering if they'd adhere well or if oxidation would form below the decals and become a problem causing them to peel easily.

Provided the surface is decreased, and the decals are quality items that stick properly and don't allow water ingress around the edges, you'll be fine.

I've left my 03 firemountain raw and stuck some cheap eBay decals on to see how it goes, so far so good , I've kept it simple and just applied the kona decals only but I'm happy so far

as long as it's properly cleaned (as Chopper already said above) - I can't see it being an issue either.

Acetone-based nail varnish remover is a good option for degreasing (and you can probably buy it at the local pound shop).

I am having the opposite problem trying to remove 20 year old decals from my naked aluminium GT !
So above I think if they are put on a properly on a clean surface they'll stay.

Back