Marin Muirwoods FS - For XC Race

westdigital

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hi,

so I managed to remove the evil pedals that I posted about last year, then I fitted a different crank entirely. I rode it in the Big Dog XC race (Open Retro Pairs) last year, had a great race but destroyed my wrists. It needed suspension.

So I went about getting some.

My fork fitting and the horrible winter we just had has brought new problems -

1) Fitting the RST forks, I bought a canti hanger and fitted it to the forks (see pictures) to allow the brakes to function. However, it didn't seem to come with a way of fastening it? I've bodged the cable through but it looks crap and is not working that well.

Any ideas? Maybe I can convert it to V-brake callipers? Not sure if the levers will allow that?

2) The saddle post has become stuck, I mean really stuck, hence the extended position. I have tried -
• Lubing it a little every day for a couple of weeks
• Dousing it in cola every day for a couple of weeks
• Heating it up over the kitchen hob (and burning myself)
• Hitting it with a f**king mallet whilst shouting loudly

Any ideas? Youtube tells me I can hacksaw it right off, fill it with some dodgy looking cocktail of chemicals and let them eat it away. This is an extreme approach I’d rather avoid.

Your thoughts, as always, will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3741.JPG
    IMG_3741.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 732
  • IMG_3737.JPG
    IMG_3737.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 732
  • IMG_3740.JPG
    IMG_3740.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 732
Try avoiding hacking the post and, the other stuff. try removing seat and seat-securing assembly and get it in a vice, pinch up but don't crush it, then, wiggle the frame with increasing movement. it just may be enough to budge it. the post is at an advantage at that height already. IT's when you have over 7" in there that you get worried.

If it still wont have it, freeze it. either get a kit that plumbers use to freeze riser mains etc... or, buy some 'crack-it' from ebay and manufacture your own insulating jacket from foam/sponge and a carrier bag. this method does work and has virtually no bad consequences to paint etc...

nice bike by the way. :cool:

Chopper1192":18ercxoo said:
Surely there can't be much post left inside the bike?
exactly what I was thinking.
turn the bike upside down pour a shitload of penetrating oil down through the bb and leave it there for a week. should come out then.

You need these :)

From SJS Cycles, so you can Run Canti Levers with V-Brakes :D I use them on my wifes Muddy Fox and they work really well :)

Attachments

• Foxy%20Update2.JPG
    Foxy%20Update2.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 667
  • 83.jpg
    83.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 667
Cheers everyone. Incidentally, the seat post is 400mm with about 150mm stuck. I'll get some penetration oil and give it a go.

Jussa, I can't find that brake part on sjs cycles site, any chance you could post a link?

Back