Advice please re restoration of a 1983 Stumpjumper Sport

RFC

Dirt Disciple
Although I have been happily reducing my C&V holdings, this Stumpjumper Sport found its way to my house. I've always wanted to try one of these early bi-plane fork MTBs.

Mechanically, its in great condition and very ride able. And, with the exception of seat, seat post and peddles, appears to be stock. The SS # is M2H35209 and both chain stay and the fork have the same hand etched number in the photo below.

However, I am not a fan of C&V "patina" and this one has more than I like. So, I'm considering powdercoat and these old Stumpies look great with a crisp finish.

But, before I go that route, I wanted to get your advice if there is a good intermediate method to improve and/or restore the original paint. As is stands now, this would be a difficult and sloppy touchup project. And, it is often difficult to match pearl grays.

Thanks All

Strip the frame, remove and rust with Deox gel which won't ja the paint, and get your local Chips Away to repair the paint. Won't be cheap, but maintains originality.

+1

Once originality is gone its gone.

Though if you're planning to keep permanently I guess my opinion counts for nowt! :)

Back