Are there real difference between v-brakes?

Avids are simpler than all that parallel push stuff from Shimano (which seems to offer minimal benefit and causes screeching). Avid 25's (which I run) are lighter than Shimano XTR and work just as well if not better.

Probably most difference is the pads - they suddenly felt lifeless after I switched to Aztec pads, but recovered when i went back to Ashima.

I forgot about the screeching. Had a pair of xt with that problem. Despite endless fettling couldn't cure it. Sold them in the end.

A poorly set up, expensive pair of V brakes will always be outperformed by a set of cheapies which have been set up properly.

Its funny how often people mention squealing parallel push XT/XTR's.... Ive run my XTR's on 4 bikes now, and for 15 years, and have NEVER had them squeal once :cool:

The Xt parallel push were well known for squealing. I know - i tried everything to stop mine - cleaned rims, parallel, toe in, toe out, different pads- all to no avail.

Try google and you'll see.

I note that although Shimano make XT brakes still they don't have the parallel linkage anymore.

I have no experience of XTR so can only comment on the XTs I had. Cure for squealing XT's - Avids.

Interesting comments. Hate the lx levers but the brakes I have/had were always as powerful as the xt I had. They didn't seem as any better, would go for cheaper ones again.

I think it was only the M739 XT parallel push that squealed. I've got LX 570 and XT 760 parallel push and both are silent even after many years of use/wear. They are also very powerfull when used with Shimano servowave levers and Koolstop pads.

Back