1970's Crescent 92320 aka "Banana"

Konsta

Retro Guru
This is a Swedish racing frame from the early 1970s (possibly 1973). It was a very popular frame in Scandinavia from 1960 onward. This frame had apparently been used by a Finnish cycling team. Bought the frameset because my girlfriend wanted a vintage road bike and it was of the right size and very cheap. It's a very nice frame, with Nervex lugs and 531 tubing. The downside was that the original paintwork had been ruined at some point. The color was the most depressing red I have ever seen. For a year the frame waited in the cellar and we kind of hated it.

Don't know what happened but one day the lady just decided to paint the frame. Two evenings later the frame had a beatiful new colour and finish. Since that day the frame was called "Banana". Don't ask why.

Based partly on the history of the frame and partly on the new colour scheme we decided to make new decals for the bike.

Then I started to put the thing together. I had almost all of the parts ready. The Campa crankset, pedals and the bottom bracket were NOS and absolutely mint. I had got them as gift from my dad. He had bought them in the 1980s for a bike he never built.

The wheels, seatpost and saddle I bought from here. My girlfiend hunted for a long time for that head badge. Finally she found one in Sweden. It's from an earlier Crescent model but it looks very nice in this frame too I think.

She also insisted on those leather grips. She sew them on by herself and now I really want those for my road bike too! They are soft goats skin and they have a very luxurious feel to them.

She says riding the bike is like taking out a very old racing horse that is eager to compete again. The downtube shifting takes some getting used to though.

fkw2nm.jpg

iz9a34.jpg

1jmcqr.jpg

312zqlt.jpg

90df81.jpg

353b1g0.jpg

2wq4aqv.jpg

2zi6crl.jpg

Frame+fork: Crescent 92320, 54 cm
Headset: Ofmega, French threaded
Stem: Zenith, 60 mm, with a titanium wedge bolt
Handlebar: Belleri
Bar tape: Velo Orange leather sew up
Brake levers: Campagnolo Super Record, new hoods
Brake calipers: Campagnolo Nuovo Record
Brake pads: KoolStop salmon
Brake cables: noname stainless
Shift levers: Campagnolo Nuovo Record
Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Nuovo Record
Derailleur cable: noname stainless
Freewheel: Regina CX
Chain: KMC X8
Cranks: Campagnolo Nuovo Record, 172,5 mm
Chainring: Gipiemme 46T
Chainring bolts: noname alloy
Bottom bracket: Campagnolo Nuovo Record Strada, French threaded
Pedals: Campagnolo Nuovo Record
Hub skewers: Campagnolo Nuovo Record
Rims: Mavic Module
Hubs: rear Miche, front Gian Robert
Nipples: Brass
Spokes: DT Competition 2,0/1,8 mm
Tyres: Vittoria Zaffiro Pro, 23-622
Tubes: Michelin A1
Saddle: Flite Titanium
Seatpost: Nitto Ritchey, 26,8 mm

Re: Crescent 92320 aka "Banana"

Downtube shifting will be a bit tricky.......the left lever doesn't seem attached to anything :)

Drivetrain looks like it just came out of the factory in a box :)

Class :)

Shaun

Re: Crescent 92320 aka "Banana"

Thanks for the nice comments!

Midlife":rrlzgqxw said:
Downtube shifting will be a bit tricky.......the left lever doesn't seem attached to anything :)
You are right! No front derailleur there. Six speeds, that's it. The left lever is there just for looks. :) I updated the spec sheet.

Being used to modern drivetrain systems I'm really impressed with how well this six speed system works! That rear derailleur is almost new. The drivetrain is very silent, and very smooth. It shifts quickly too.

(For a short while the bike was ridden in a condition like this: it had a bent derailleur hanger, bent rear derailleur and a basic and very cheap 3/32" chain. Even then it worked perfectly, no skipping, no problems whatsoever :shock: . The hanger is straight now though.)

Nice to see another Crescent :D
Really like the colour (especially with those white tyres!) and the attention detail.

I think we've had a similar journey, here's mine that I rescued from a charity store: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13601
It's been unused for a while, but recently I pumped the tyres up and have starting using it on my commute now the weather is good. As you say yourself, I'm quite surprised how well rides/works, especially after getting used to a modern carbon fibre bike.

Attachments

• crescent.jpg
    crescent.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,978
What a lovely bike - a right banana might be the wrong expression - but she looks absolutely wonderful.

Colnagolover

Cheers everyone!

We just came back from a pleasant evening ride. Can tell you that those tyres are not white anymore...

Back