Orange F7 Nickel Forks Steerer Too Short on P7-Any thoughts?

imjustcreative

Dirt Disciple
Just purchased a lovely pair of Nickel Orange F7 forks (1995 & threaded) off a chap on ebay and within 5 minutes realised I hadn't even asked the question: From what size frame did they come and how long is the steerer?

Been desperate to get a pair for my rebuild, and finally one turned up. I was on my mobile and just purchased immediately. The buyer had practised urgent despatch within mins of getting paid, can't fault the delivery speed :) So my bad for totally rushing and not thinking, and now I'm trying to see if I can make these work.

From what I can see from the photos the steerer length will likely just about fall level with the top of the P7's head tube as his was a 17" and mine a 19".

Seen these BBB extenders: BBB BHP-20/21 Stem Extender & BBB BHP-22 Steerer Tube Extender, and wondered if these would work on a threaded steerer tube that literally falls level with the head tube?

If not then I'll have some really nice 17" Orange F7 Nickel forks to sell on… :(

Re: Orange F7 Nickel Forks Steerer Too Short on P7-Any thoug

Yes the BBB steerer extender will work with threaded forks but you will need to change to an Aheadset and suitable stem as well...

...which gives you far more choice anyway ;)

Been using them myself for years BTW, very useful piece of kit.

We_are_Stevo":36h6075s said:
Yes the BBB steerer extender will work with threaded forks but you will need to change to an Aheadset and suitable stem as well...

I beg to differ good sir :?
A steerer extender fitted to the fork with a threaded section still requires a threaded headset. Just the stem is changed.

dyna-ti":23i9ac8t said:
We_are_Stevo":23i9ac8t said:

A steerer extender fitted to the fork with a threaded section still requires a threaded headset. Just the stem is changed.

I think my main non-understanding is: if the fork steerer literally sits flush with the top of the head tube (minus any headset parts/race), how will I fit a threaded headset? I assumed you needed at least an 1" of the threaded steerer tube out of the head tube?

Cheers
Graham

Dyna - wouldnt that be the case if the steerer was the right height? If it will only come up to the top ofthe headtube the thread wont be high enough to reach the lock ring? :?

I'd suggest you sell the forks and find some with a long enough steerer, and don't be so hasty next time ;) :LOL:

jimo746":1x0rotg4 said:
I'd suggest you sell the forks and find some with a long enough steerer, and don't be so hasty next time ;) :LOL:

Yeah tell me about it. Feel such a twat… :)

But checking up on an old Orange manual from 1997 (my orange is '95/96): http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/brochures/ ... hi-opt.pdf it says the steerer tube on 17" forks is 168mm whereas the head tube on the 19" is just 120mm. So from that it looks like the steerer should rise 'above' the head tube by around 40mm which should mean enough for a threaded headset. Assuming the dimensions didn't change between '95 and '97 of course.

Chart here: http://cl.ly/Pa2S

Chap posted it immediately and couldn't measure the length, so i'll just have to wait until they turn up to be sure.

:)

dyna-ti":1j4is3to said:
We_are_Stevo":1j4is3to said:

WTFAYTA?

If you have a threaded fork with a too-short steerer you change to an Aheadset, fit the steerer extender and fit an Aheadset stem...

...just as I have on the purple Saracen and my Y2K Explosif.

It really doesn't matter where the threaded part of the original steerer comes to either; works equally well on threaded/non-threaded, inch or inch and an eighth.

Back