Wookiee's 1997 Mount Vision...

shaun":tkrxh142 said:
Brief history lesson on why the Marin Mount Vision is part of mountain bike history and should be valued a lot more on retro bike forums:

1994 – ATB starts an R&D department, employing F1 engineer Jon Whyte to develop a full suspension design

1995 – Suspension design is licensed to Marin and goes into production

1997 – Paul Lasenby rides into the record books on his Marin Mount Vision, becoming the first ever pro-elite racer to win an XC on a full suspension bike

1998 – More records – this time the first XC Championship on a suspension bike

This Marin is the 'daddy' of race full susers of today!

ahhh mate thanks for the info...I knew it had a good pedigree and was a the 1st full susser to win XC comps...just glad its more than me that appreciates the good ol Marins...often overlooked but once ridden loved!

Need to start a Marin appreciation society!

"Muddy paw"
+1 and i got to agree about reverting the colour of the swing arm back to it's original colour :cool: ..

wookie
yeah I want to strip the swingarm and change the front fork too...not sure the best way to go about it...paint stripper or blasting...

Normal shot blasting can be harmful as it thins the metal down if done wrong but their are people that do nylon shot blasting and that's very effective and holds no serious worry to the thining of the metal and you don't have any chemical residue to worry about from a liquid stripper either ;) ..

Muddy paw":1egs0jds said:
"Muddy paw"
+1 and i got to agree about reverting the colour of the swing arm back to it's original colour :cool: ..

wookie
yeah I want to strip the swingarm and change the front fork too...not sure the best way to go about it...paint stripper or blasting...

Normal shot blasting can be harmful as it thins the metal down if done wrong but their are people that do nylon shot blasting and that's very effective and holds no serious worry to the thining of the metal and you don't have any chemical residue to worry about from a liquid stripper either ;) ..

Hmmm sounds interesting...where would I look to get that done?? I am near Southampton Hants... Was also contemplating getting a "chrome" powder coat for the frame and swingarm...

Trust me the ONLY way is to sort some quality 80mm air forks and then respray the rear swing arm the exact colour of the forks. Its the correct look for this period of Mount Visions.

shaun":31hnbgo2 said:
Trust me the ONLY way is to sort some quality 80mm air forks and then respray the rear swing arm the exact colour of the forks. Its the correct look for this period of Mount Visions.

Thanks noted....going to strip the frame and swingarm back to bare alu and then sort the forks and rear shock with some air shock love!

Like it. A friend of mine has just rebuilt his front forks and while they were in bits, spent a couple of hours stripping and polishing the lower legs and now they look awesome. Imagine these on your MV with its polished frame and swing arm , would look great.

Liking the yellow & yellow, I didn't know the swingarms were high risk in terms of cracks, my usual method of ignorance is bliss will continue no doubt. Here's mine built a bit differently:

dsc03294j.jpg

dsc03293o.jpg

That looks nice gtRTSdh. My Marin FS developed a slight amount of play from side to side becase the bearing seat had worn. My bike shop was worried this may have caused a crack to appear, but got it early and no damage, just some new seats to tighten the back end up. Worth keeping an eye on as these bikes get older.

Muddy paw":245icbdb said:

Hmmm sounds interesting...where would I look to get that done?? I am near Southampton Hants... Was also contemplating getting a "chrome" powder coat for the frame and swingarm...[/quote]

Sorry i've not been on for a while and i'm afraid i don't know of anbody in your area that does it but any decent company that does wheel refurbs should have that process optional lol ..

Back