whats the best ipad/tablet ?

I got Google nexus 7, very recommended for everything. I use it for gaming, internet, BBC iPlayer, TV catch up and skifta for streaming over dlna to ps3. Nice screen, only little downside is 32gb memory, but that is a minor as I can stream and copy to ps3

By the way I have the Nexus 7, it is good, multi user support is it best point with the wife and kids each having their own login. Being the Nexys it always has the latest and greatest Android version and has a large community if ever i felt the need to tinker.
I have no idea of MS support, Google docs/drive is getting better so word and spreadsheets are usable. If I use MS I use the laptop/desktop/aio. It is not as good as a proper computer. But it's used everyday for web, news, a few games and iPlayer. Yes ignore what was said above, BBC have an iPlayer app.

Of course I have an ageing android phone and it easier to keep similar apps and work with them both.
I'm not a Apple hater, they do good stuff. I just don't think their iPads are the best.

New nexus 7 out shortly though.

gtRTSdh":33wah590 said:
Everyone I know with a tablet doesn't touch them after a few weeks. I think you need to get something with a keyboard.
^^^This.

All the features you never use on your phone, without the ones you do i.e. calls and text. And no keyboard so half of those features are a nightmare to work if anything involves typing.

I got a Samsung Note as afaik it's the only one with a pen which means I can have clients sign contracts more quickly. I would like to show presentations on it but I don't have the energy to trawl through 100 slideshow apps made by teenagers in their bedrooms to find something which will actually do what I want. So I gave up on that.

Good
Instant on like a phone.
Battery life like (actually better than due to lack of use) a phone.
The pen for signing documents.

Bad
For everything else I go to my 2 year old phone or 5 year old laptop. Tablets are a case study in marketing hype.

Do you have any friends that own any of the mentioned Tablets? Try them out and pick the one you feel most comfortable using. If not, pick one of the main contenders and have at it. You can adapt any Tablet to fit your needs through the app stores.

Tablets aren't meant to be a replacement for Laptops/Netbooks/Desktops. I don't think they were ever intended to do so either. There are certain things, that for me personally I prefer to do on an iPad, mainly reading. I get far more enjoyment reading on the iPad than I ever would on a PC etc. With the right apps the iPad will allow me to read whatever I throw at it. PDF, mobi, epub, cbz, cbr. It's paid for itself many times over with books and comics alone.

I'd say look into something with a 10" screen though (unless you do a lot of traveling and need something smaller) The bigger screen makes all the difference in my opinion.

hamster":mgebskzb said:
I have to disagree with that, tablets are instant-on and brilliant for watching video etc. A tablet is best for consumption, not heavy interactivity. If you want to type a lot, get a laptop.

The money I spent on an iPad has been well worth it. Personally I hate faffing with PCs, antivirus, security etc. Android is still full of malware (see the antivirus companies security reports if you don't believe me). But I'd happily buy a Kindle or similar for video etc. However, if you want to download with iPlayer, it's only on iOS.

Rumours perpetuated by av vendors that see a quickly dying business model. As mentioned common sense when installing apps by not giving access to functions like sending SMS or phone dialer (kind of moot on a tablet anyway) stops most malware and most malware needs root access to do any real harm which you probably won't ever do. I do most of my evening social stuff on my nexus7 which I can't really fault. My wife hardly touches her laptop since I bought her a galaxy tab 2 7.0 which is OK but isn't up to the standard set by the nexus (both of us think this).
Don't think the iPad would be worth the extra over any nexus.

Carl

Ipad 2 here...bloody brilliant, never has connection problems (must be just the new ones!!!!)

I havent touched a laptop for about 6 months now!

:cool:

we have a google nexus 7 and a blackberry playbook,both are really good in my opinion,but the wife defo prefers the nexus.,and my eldest is saving up for the nexus 10, :LOL: :LOL:

Chopper1192":15jua35b said:
It reads pdf s ok out the box, word and excell require an app from Microsoft which is about £6.

Kingsoft Office is free and will happily do the basics, give that a try.

Carl.

technodup":3itg7jq1 said:
gtRTSdh":3itg7jq1 said:
Everyone I know with a tablet doesn't touch them after a few weeks. I think you need to get something with a keyboard.
^^^This.

All the features you never use on your phone, without the ones you do i.e. calls and text. And no keyboard so half of those features are a nightmare to work if anything involves typing.

I got a Samsung Note as afaik it's the only one with a pen which means I can have clients sign contracts more quickly. I would like to show presentations on it but I don't have the energy to trawl through 100 slideshow apps made by teenagers in their bedrooms to find something which will actually do what I want. So I gave up on that.

Good
Instant on like a phone.
Battery life like (actually better than due to lack of use) a phone.
The pen for signing documents.

Bad
For everything else I go to my 2 year old phone or 5 year old laptop. Tablets are a case study in marketing hype.

It all depends on your use case, tablets work for the content consumption model, which the majority of users are and tablet sales reflect this (there is a massive shift is sales from laptops/desktops to tablets in the global market). However if you create content they rapidly show limitations, apart from Win8 all in ones (convertibles, dockables and flipables). These are excellent all rounders but are too expensive, when these atom powered devices hit the price they should be at (they contain netbook grade Atom CPU's so should be the same price as a netbook) they will start to rapid gain momentum in the market place, this also assumes Windows 8.1 delivers the improvements that users want.

Part of my job is to assess and analyse these devices for a large IT organisation so I have had access to a lot of different devices that aren't yet in the market place.

Carl.

10" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 would definitely be my choice, less than £200 from Argos Outlet on ebay...

...but another + for the 64GB PlayBook :cool:

Typing easy BTW; just hold it in the palms of both hands and type with your thumbs!

Back