Found my old Raleigh racer in Dads Garage

Just to to confirm........there are spanner type nuts holding the brakes onto the frame and not allen key type?

Shaun

On the back there is a normal bolt which is the thing that holds the caliper onto the frame. On the other end there is an Allen bolt which hides indide a plastic Black holder type thing

There seems to be quite a few about. Halfords do a pair for under £20 which look half decent but its the size i am worried about

Hi Leevis, nice bike you have there, nd great to find it again after so long.. Very lucky!

Brakes:

If you look at this photo you will see the bolt that holds the brake onto the frame..

Modern bikes and modern brakes have a different way of doing this. A modern caliper brake will have a recessed Allen key bolt that sits inside the frame and looks tidier. Only problem is the hole has to be slightly wider to fit the bolt. Also the caliper rod is shorter. Basically the hole in your frame is too small to fit modern calipers...

The solution is to either use a period part that fits or drill out your precious frame to make the hole bigger or sometimes you can combine modern brakes with old rods.

I have tried all three and more but I wouldn't drill your frame if I were you. maybe if it was some old rusty frame you didnt much care for but this one has some sentimental value right?

personally I think the first option is best and stick with what you have! I ride weinmann 500 on an 80's racer I have, never had any problems, they look nice too.

Here is a photo of a couple of rear brakes to show you the difference..

Hope this helps.. The one on the left is like yours and the one on the right is the newer version..

Matt

ok dont go drilling your frame. you have weinmann calipers if they are sticking on one side its because they are not centred. if you look at the brake from the front, at the bolt (not the nut on the back) you will see a black plastic round shroud, inside which is what looks like a allen key. yes it actually looks like an allen key, not an allen key shaped hole but an allen key hexagonal shaped stud. there was a specific tool for adjusting this but anything that fits on it like a small thinwalled socket (4mm/5mm? ish) would probably do it. you need to turn this in the direction of the sticking side to re centre the caliper, as you turn it the whole caliper will move, so turn it until the blocks are an even distance away from the rim, pull the brake lever and re do as required.
secondly and not one to rain on your very nice parade but your forks look decidedly bent. could be a trick of the camera angle but ive seen many bent forks and yours look as such.
dont go buying calipers though, most things come to life with a good strip down/clean/grease and reassemble.

OK, followed the tips above and have somehow managed to get the back brake working fine, the front is another story.
I cant get this one to work no matter what i do. I can center and then when i pull the brake it sticks on the one side, there seems to be a limit to how far i can turn the hex socket on the front one (not really too sure what this does).
I can undo the back nut, centre it using the front hex but when i tighten each time it sticks, doing my head in at the moment.
i cant seem to work out how to strip these down, they seem to be a one peice jobbie.
Any ideas

No they can be stripped no problem pm me and I will send you my address post it to me and I will do it for you

The black shroud is actually covering a small nut, pop the shroud off and all will be revealed lol

Back