Southern Jessy after suggestions.

Matthews

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi my wild northern associates , I'm spending the week in D&G next week (near Gatehouse of Fleet) an am looking for some suggestions of rides in the area, ideally around the 20>25 mile mark and primarily off road and rideable, I know about the 7 Stanes centres but I prefer getting out and about rather than just hitting the trail centres , any ideas from any locals ( I would normally study the os maps and plan from them but you don't have FP's and bridleways on the maps up there hence my request for local knowledge ).
Matthew
(usually in the North Yorks bit )

Not a lot of use but here's the link to Galloway forest Park :
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/recr ... forestpark
Sift through that lot and there should be somewhere to explore.
If you are prepared to do the trail centre thing, we all recommend Kiroughtree but go canny, there's some sections that can send you to Dumfries A&E
Dalbeatie is quite good too if you like bedrock and tree roots plus of course the slab. I crashed 3 times though so not on my list for return anytime soon :oops:

For local natural stuff you could try a pm to firedfromthecircus who is from the area. You could also have a look around the Trail Scotland forum. The only thing apart from the trail centres I can recommend is the Wanlockedhead gold rush trail, just a bit further than your normal rides but some of it is on road.

There is also davy-g who has a vast local knowledge but hasn't been on here for a while, he is on the Trail Scotland forum too and will have time for a Retrobiker I reckon.

Kaiser, FiredfromtheCircus is from Penicuik but now lives in East Lothian unless he's also lived in D&G, are you confused with someone else ?

velomaniac":2xc2nh0e said:
Kaiser, FiredfromtheCircus is from Penicuik but now lives in East Lothian unless he's also lived in D&G, are you confused with someone else ?

I think I'm confused about where he's from, I thought he was down that side, I think I put 2+2 together and came up with 5 from a post about something ages ago.

At what point did 2+2 stop being 5?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Southern Jessy - sorry I can't help with this area - I'd buy and OS map (1976 vintage) and go exploring :xmas-big-grin:

Yes, Velo is correct. I am not from D+G so can't help with route finding there unfortunately. :(
Nice area though and I'm sure there will be some good riding about. There is a nice wee forrest near Creetown that I enjoyed walking last time I was down that way, and if you are near Creetown you really need to visit the Creetown Gemrock museum. It's ace. :mrgreen:

Your not far from drumlanrig

I rode some stuff around loch grannoch a few years ago ,singletrack can't remember who to get there tho
But it was easy enough to find
Remember you can ride just about anywhere in Scotland without issue

Mike

I'm from Dumfries. Gatehouse of Fleet is a bit of a trek west, otherwise I'd be telling you about the trails in the Leadhills, or there are ones round by Penpont/Scaur Water. There's also the coastal path which you can link nicely with Dalbeattie/Mabie forest to give a good day out.
Moffat hills have a quite a few good natural trails too.

But all of the above will involve a fair bit of driving to and from GHF? Which you may not want to do? There is a route that you can start from Clatteringshaws and go over by Merrick and you end up over by Glentrool. Last time I did this there was some really nice fast flowing single track.

Greig.

Back