feeling old - MBUK 25th Anniversary issue.

al-onestare":pgymp4ct said:
So trying to put aside my love for the 90's and being objective, I have to say this was a really poor celebration of 25 years of mountain biking. As others have hinted on here, a lot of what's in the edition is either new or fairly modern with a big chunk of material from 2000+ on.

I appreciate you can download the first edition which is good - I don't bother with that malarky - and there are some highlights like Steve's Hei Hei (although the article is incredibly short) and interviews with some of the stalwarts of the UK scene.

But there's hardly anything meaty in substance. The articles are minimal, the interviews bite-size and there's hardly anything of substance from the late 80's or early 90's.

Of course, this is the modern way and very much the style of this magazine. I just thought that for once, they'd take the opportunity to go in-depth a bit more.

5/10. Disappointing.

Absolutely agree - very disappointed. I think they've missed a good opportunity to properly show how mountain bikes - and the sport - evolved from those early years. I sometimes think these things are written by people who aren't old enough to have been there and therefore very much look at it from a modern point of view. So they think most stuff must have been crap because it's now looked on as old and therefore not very good. Tut. :roll:
Shame they didn't come to Retrobike for some info.

The first issue freebie via app is nice though. Just been browsing and letching.

Rather wish I'd kept all those magazines, now. But too many house-moves and too many mountain bike/motorcycle magazines collected over the years. :(

Salsprocket":14dpjr6x said:
Rather wish I'd kept all those magazines, now. But too many house-moves and too many mountain bike/motorcycle magazines collected over the years. :(
Me too,I threw out/gave away boxes of them.The anniversary issue is such a let down,what a load of corporate pony.

After reading it i kinda feel that if it wasn't new out in the last 5 years it is bobbins. And all the factual inaccuracies (Steve Peat Raced a Kilauea rigid bike in 93... I have it in MBUK's works bikes!, the 94 "dunkirk" anniversary issue.. err you mean D day etc)

Interesting but a bit of a poor attempt. hell i only buy MBUK for mint Sauce anyway

So the question is ,shal I shed a fiver on a copy or not ?

Was disappointed by the last anniversary issue

Mind you the early issues were shite too ,only the 90/1/2/3/4 issues were good

IMO

Mike

Who remembers the ads at the back pages bitd?What stuck out for me were Chinese ads looking for distributors with pics of trick looking purple/blue etc annodised mtb jewelry that were identical to USE,Ringle etc.You just know they were dirt cheap but unavailable.

Ooh me! I remember that! Things like the bar/stem combo where the handlebars were HINGED on either side of the stem allowing them to be unbolted and folded flush with the frame.
Don't be upset everyone, it'son par with a 25 year anniversary of " Closer" magazine. When Singletrack do a retrospective then THAT will be worth buying.

Back