whats the best ipad/tablet ?

Everyone I know with a tablet doesn't touch them after a few weeks. I think you need to get something with a keyboard.

I'm typing this on a dell inspiron Duo. It folds up into a tablet (the Mrs wanted), or opens up as a netbook (I wanted) with a 95% size keyboard & touch screen. Neither of us a) use it as a tablet b) use the touch screen (it gets filthy after a few prods & needs wiping again).

I have to disagree with that, tablets are instant-on and brilliant for watching video etc. A tablet is best for consumption, not heavy interactivity. If you want to type a lot, get a laptop.

The money I spent on an iPad has been well worth it. Personally I hate faffing with PCs, antivirus, security etc. Android is still full of malware (see the antivirus companies security reports if you don't believe me). But I'd happily buy a Kindle or similar for video etc. However, if you want to download with iPlayer, it's only on iOS.

See above. Love my ipad. Typing takes some getting used to but I suppose that would be the same for all tablets. I like the convenience, ease of use and aesthetic. Rarely fire up the desk or lap top now at home unless I have a lot of MS type work to do.

we have 3 tablets and 3 laptops in our house. 2 samsung android and an ipad 3. they are all good and they have their faults. the androids tend to go a bit sluggish after a couple of months but then a cache clearout sorts that out. the ipad is fast enough but as everything apple, its out of date 5 mins before they launch it. (thats why wwdc is so popular lol). go onto the gadget show for this week, and watch it as they tested 3 windows based tablet/laptop combos and the slate diddnt win!
ipad for speed and ease of use.
android for price and flexibilty
kindle fire hd for people who want something that has all the above and you dont get raped on the price.
oh and the laptops dont get a look in any more :D

We have a Nexus 7 in our house and can't fault it, ignore the android malware doom mongers - common sense stops most malware - I've had Android phones for 4ish years and have never had a problem. The Ipad Mini is expensive for what you get, bearing in mind the Nexus 7 has a better screen, and is more powerful. In fact when we got my stepson a tablet, he had a choice;

1. An Ipad Mini

or

2. A Nexus 7 + this.... http://www.musicjunkie.co.uk/product/Ep ... tAodtjMAOQ

Yep, he chose 2!!!

I got my mrs an ipad 4 for Christmas, its what you expect from apple, BUT it is forever having connection problems, will be logged on quite happily to wifi then logs off and won-t re-connect without rebooting hub. Apple say its a router problem but nothing wrong with ipad but begrudgingly accept sometimes issues with BT hubs. No issues with anything else in house :evil: . It get's used for games/video/music but I don't use it, I use a laptop for portability that does everything needed (except games).

One thing re keypad is that you can get a separate one for an ipad that connects via blue tooth, so not really an issue in that respect re comments above.

As far as tablets go, I don't think an iPad can be beaten as an all-rounder.

Yes, SOME tablets can do SOME things better, but for a combination of build quality, simplicity, battery life, content and ability the iPad offers the best package and is worth the extra cash IMO. Bear in mind that they hold their value better to, whenever the time comes to sell it.

Another recommendation for an iPad, a premium price but quality is high and very easy to use (apart from transferring from DVDs that you already own).

Not sure if relevant, but my aunt was given a Kindle Fire for Christmas. I had a go but didn’t find it particularly easy to navigate (user rather than product I suspect). My aunt struggled with it for 6 months and then got an iPad Mini and is 100% happier. The Kindle Fire was sold on to a colleague at work who absolutely loves it. I don’t imagine that particularly helps.

I've got a couple of Android tablets, and two BlackBerry PlayBooks.

The Android tablets are 10", work OK, stable, perform reasonably, but are on a rather aging version of Android.

The PlayBooks are without doubt, the most well constructed, quality tablet I've ever physically encountered. Sure, it's suffered with poor software support / apps, and still there's some stark gaps in the apps available. But the OS is simply excellent, stable, true multi-tasking, gesture driven, rock-solid behaviour. Two front-mounted stereo speakers, and HDMI out. 64G of onboard storage (not expandable - no microsd capabilities). The first one I've got cost me £129, last September time, the 2nd cost me just under £100 a couple of months back.

Notwithstanding some stark gaps in app support, I think they're great - stable, very easy to use (in that respect, a worthy contender for the olds, in comparison to an iPad), and ideal if you want the normal - email, web surfing, video and music playback. If you want a dearth of fart apps, and the latest meme, you may be out of luck, but they can make a very decent choice.

I'm not here advocating them, per se, though - they're over 2 years old as a tablet model, now, and increasingly difficult to get, new, due to them being sold so heavily discounted.

But in comparison to iPads, several family members have them - and they are fine and I get why people would buy them, price no object. Personally I wouldn't - because I wouldn't have been prepared to pay their price premium when I initially, and speculatively, bought a tablet. But the reason for mentioning being I have relatives who own an iPad, who weren't getting much use out of it, truth be told. And when it had to be returned for repair (the home button stopped working, and all the normal internet fixes didn't resolve) I showed them my PlayBook. Next thing you know, Jed's a millionaire, and when I next go 'round they've been out and bought a PlayBook, too.

For all those that got them at their heavily discounted price, you got a premium tablet, with unequalled build quality, a truly great OS, which is fluid and truly simple to use and control, and assuming you're informed up front about some notable gaps in available apps, has made a true bargain for many.

My iPads nice enough. Good screen (though not as sharp as the kindle HD's), nice sound, lovey user interface, but it's ruined horrible by the attritional wifi range and speed. It could cook my breakfast and perform sexual favours, but it's so crap at connecting then all the other features are worthless. Bitterly disappointed.

Back