First time fork installation and need some help!

kaferboy

Dirt Disciple
I've tried searching but can't find anything on this, but I have just pulled the Rock Shox Judy XC from my 97 Kona to install a Pace RC36 fork. Both the new and the old fork have 1 1/8th steerer's, however the Pace has an alu steerer. Now having pulled off the lower crown race from the RS to reuse on the Pace, I noticed there is a very slight flare to the bottom of the RS steerer, and the lower crown is a very loose fit on the Pace fork.

I have another old RS fork in the garage so had a look at that (a year 2000 Jett) and that too has the same flare at the bottom of the steerer. The Pace steerer is dead straight and doesn't flare or anything.

So, do I need a different type or size of headset, or will a new headset that has not been previously pressed onto another fork fit?

Would really appreciate any help, and I'm sorry if this is a total newbie question!

All forks should be slightly flared at the bottom of the steerer, as the headset crown needs to be tight onto it.

I don't know Pace at all. Aret eh RC36 replaceable steerers? If so, check they are fitted properly. Should just be a case of sliding the crown on and using the tool (or piece of pipe etc) to bash it down tight onto the steerer.

That has the crown on it (obviously)

Send a pm to:

justbackdated

As he is a Pace whizzkid. He will know.

My old RC36s (also 1,1/8") had a shim at the bottom of the steerer, rather than a bulge. The crown race would sit over the shim.

Perhaps this is what your forks are missing?

Yup, it's definitely 1 1/8, everything else checks out OK. I'll have a look into this shim, and give justbackdated a pm.

Really appreciate the help guys, itching to get out and try my bike on a fork I really wanted as a kid :)

Yep - RC36 require a crown race shim and mine came without one as well! Took me a week of head scratching to realise and a few weeks to find a 1 1/8th version! Eventually realised that Tim (justbackdated) had some and he supplied mine and plenty of other very good advice too! Might be worth booking them in for a service with him, tbh, to check all is well, has the appropriate 500 grades of loctite applied in the relevant places and everything is torqued up properly (carbon legs and all that) and everything is still bonded correctly. Also RC7 grease isn't always easy to locate - ask Tim for some while you're at it. Apparently PACE forks like to be nicely maintained after every ride. Nice forks though and look gorgeous. :)

I have a spare 1 1/4 shim somewhere, but from the sound of it that won't be much use. :)

Thanks petitpal :) yup, having spent the morning burrowing through previous posts on here I now have a much better understanding of what I need, and have pm'd the man himself hoping he has a collar for me! A service probably isn't a bad idea!

:) Thanks again everyone!

Ahh the joy of retrobike.

Thanks for all the help folks, Tim is sorting me out with a steerer collar and I'm a happy bunny :) what a great community!

Back